A Farmington teen's replacement Samsung phone burned in her hand - Bring Me The News

A Farmington teen's replacement Samsung phone burned in her hand

A Samsung phone, replacing one recalled in the summer because of overheated batteries, burned a Farmington girl's hand.
Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

Remember how Samsung recently issued a massive recall because its Note 7 tablet phones kept catching on fire? Well, it looks as though the replacements may not be much better.

That's what 13-year-old Abby Zuis found out on Friday, when the replacement Galaxy Note 7 Samsung sent her melted in her hand.

Speaking to KSTP, she said she received a minor burn to her thumb after feeling a "weird, burning sensation" as she held her phone, describing it as "like pins and needles except a lot more intense."

Her phone suffered smoke damage and burn marks, with the protective cover melting in the process.

Her father Andrew Zuis posted on Facebook Saturday, asking people to "spread the news Samsung Note 7 replacement phones are dangerous."

"My daughter ... learned the hard way yesterday," he added.

It's another blow to the Korean company, which has become Apple's main competitor in the smartphone market but has had a bad few months following the recall of 2.5 million Note 7s in the summer because batteries were overheating.

In a statement to USA Today, Samsung confirmed it is investigating what happened to the Farmington teen's phone, and added that "customer safety remains our highest priority."

"We want to reassure our customers that we take every report seriously and we are engaged with the Zuis family to ensure we are doing everything we can for them and their daughter," it said.

Earlier this week another replacement Samsung Note caught fire, this time on a Southwest Airlines flight in Kentucky, The Verge reports. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating both incidents.

Related

Next Up