The city of Mankato says rocks up to 12 inches in diameter went sailing out of a local quarry during a blast Tuesday, damaging a home and trees in the neighborhood.
The city says a Public Safety staff member was monitoring the morning blast and saw rocks go flying. An investigation is underway.
“The explosives permit is suspended until we can determine if the ejected rock could have been prevented,” Jeff Bengston of the Public Safety Department told the Mankato Times.
Company says safety is its priority
An executive tells the Mankato Free Press Jordan Sands is concerned about what happened but there's little the company can say until more is learned about what caused the flying debris.
"Safety continues to be our No. 1 priority," Vice President Brett Skilbred told the paper. "We'll continue to investigate this and bring forth more information as it becomes available."
The city says the rocks caused damage to the siding of a home at 601 Harper St.
A resident of that home – who was not there at the time – told the Free Press the impact knocked over items inside the house, including a vase from her wedding that was broken.
Earthquake cited earlier this year
This is not the first time Mankato has hit Jordan Sands with a suspension.
On April 25 a blast at Jefferson Quarry was followed by tremors and rattling felt by people in dozens of buildings. They alerted the city, which suspended Jordan Sands' permit during an investigation.
The company hired a geologist to study what happened. His June report concluded the vibrations people felt were not from the quarry blast but from an earthquake, which the consultant said was measured (at 2.8) on seismometers as far as 250 miles away.
The city then issued its own report concluding there was no evidence to show that Jordan Sands was negligent in its April 25 blast.