Accent Signage settles lawsuit over 2012 workplace shooting - Bring Me The News

Accent Signage settles lawsuit over 2012 workplace shooting

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0

Two years after the deadly workplace shooting at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis, the family of one of the victims has reached an undisclosed settlement with the company, the Associated Press reports.

Jacob Beneke (pictured), 34, and the father of a young son, was one of six people killed by employee Andrew Engeldinger on Sept. 27, 2012, before Engeldinger turned the gun on himself. It was the deadliest workplace shooting in Minnesota history.

The lawsuit filed by Beneke's family alleged that Accent Signage should have known Engeldinger had violent tendencies, was mentally unstable and was a potential danger to others.

It originally named Engeldinger's estate as well, but last summer a judge dismissed the claims against the estate but allowed the suit against the company to move forward.

Image placeholder title

The Beneke family's attorney Phil Villaume said the case was resolved by mutual agreement a few weeks ago, but did not disclose any details of the settlement. In a statement, Accent Signage confirmed the settlement but also declined further comment, according to MPR News.

On the day of the shooting, Engeldinger went on a shooting spree inside the company immediately after being fired, ultimately killing five colleagues and a UPS driver, before killing himself. Engeldinger was fired for work performance issues, including being late for work 35 days in a row.

The lawsuit also claimed the company should have increased security the day company officials planned to fire Engeldinger.

In the days after the shooting, Engeldinger's family revealed that their son had been diagnosed with depression and showed signs of schizophrenia, and they tried repeatedly over two years to convince him to seek treatment, the Associated Press reported.

But he refused to do so, and there was nothing else they could do because Minnesota law doesn't allow people to be forced into treatment without proof that they are a threat to themselves or others.

Related

Accent Signage vows to press on after workplace shooting

Officials at Accent Signage in Minneapolis vowed Monday that the company will continue operations despite the Sept. 27 shooting that left seven dead and two wounded. "Their loss has taken a tremendous toll on our company and had an unimaginable impact on our families," said Shereen Rahamim, wife of the slain owner.

Duluth woman, Pfizer settle lawsuit over quit-smoking drug

A Duluth widow who says a smoking cessation drug led to her husband's suicide has settled her lawsuit against pharmaceutical giant Pfizer. The trial that was scheduled to begin Monday would have been a bellwether case, since more than 2,000 similar lawsuits have been filed around the country. Terms of the settlement are confidential. Attorney Michael Ciresi says the woman is comfortable with the settlement and her family can move on.

911 transcripts from Minneapolis workplace shooting released

Transcripts of 911 calls made at the time of the deadly shooting at Accent Signage Systems in Minneapolis Sept. 27 were released Tuesday. Seven people were killed in the mass shooting including the gunman Andrew Engeldinger, an employee terminated from the company the day he opened fire. The latest fatality was Eric Rivers, a production manager at Accent, who was removed from life support last week

Next Up