Archdiocese to reveal accused priest list Thursday

Author:
Updated:
Original:

The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis says on Thursday it will release the names of 33 priests who have been credibly accused of abusing children.

The archdiocese made the announcement after an order from Ramsey County Judge John Van de North on Monday.

The information will be released on the archdiocese's website and in The Catholic Spirit newspaper. It will disclose names, age, year of ordination, where they served, city and state of where the accused priests currently reside, and the year of death if the priest is deceased.

Most of the information being released Thursday will involve incidents that occurred between the 1950's and 1980's. The archdiocese also says that most of the priests have been previously identified in media reports and all have been permanently removed from the ministry or are deceased.

The court ruled that the information must be released by Dec. 17. The archdiocese first said it would release the list in November, but last week said it would wait until it had permission from the court.

The same ruling also is requiring the Archdiocese of Winona to release its 13 names as well.

KARE 11 reports that attorney Jeff Anderson said," Today marks the beginning of a safer time in this community." Anderson has fought for the rights of priest sex abuse victims for years.

The archdiocese has held secret the names of the 33 priests since it compiled the list in 2004 and won a 2009 court ruling allowing the list to remain private, according to a report in the Star Tribune.

Church officials returned to court Monday seeking permission to disclose the names following several new allegations this fall that have led to the departure of top leaders in the local church.

The list on Thursday will not include the recent priest allegations. The archdiocese says the disclosures are not intended to be final and that more announcements will be made as the review of clergy files continues.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 10.59.00 PM

Wild tie Kings with 2 seconds left, win in overtime

Another incredible finish for the Wild.

Screen Shot 2021-01-16 at 6.53.17 PM

Mike Lindell's MyPillow offering discounts using the code 'Qanon'

The Shakopee-based company is under the microscope because of the recent actions of its owner.

Surly Brewing

Facing aluminum can shortage, Surly unveils solution: 'Cantyhose'

The brewery came up with a creative way to repurpose unused cans.

Liam Robbins

Gophers stay perfect at home by crushing 7th-ranked Michigan

Liam Robbins and Marcus Carr were too much for the previously undefeated Wolverines.

police lights

Four teens arrested over robberies in Minneapolis

They teens were found in a vehicle that was taken during an earlier carjacking.

Boundary Waters/BWCA

All BWCA visitors will now have to watch three 'Leave No Trace' videos

Visitors left an "unacceptably high amount" of damage last year.

ambulance

Ten fatal overdoses in past 6 weeks reported in region of northern MN

Law enforcement agencies have issued a plea to the general public.

u.s. district court minnesota - federal court minneapolis

Bracing for security threats, federal courthouses closing in Minnesota

Security is also being ramped up at the state capitol.

N95 mask

3M sues Florida company that sold 10K counterfeit N95 masks to HCMC

The Maplewood company has obtained a temporary injunction against the firm.

vaccine, covid

Walz, Whitmer, and Evers call on Trump Admin. to buy more vaccines

It comes after The Washington Post reported that the country's COVID vaccine reserves have been exhausted.

Related