After father and daughter die, officials warn of carbon monoxide dangers

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0
Image placeholder title

The two people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in their home just outside of Duluth were father and daughter, according to multiple reports

St. Louis County Sheriff's Office revealed Thursday that Michael J. Mechley, 39, and his 11-year-old daughter Charlene died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a camping trailer in the Rice Lake Township, the Fargo Forum reports.

Two of Mechley's other children, Karley, 15, and Noah Mechley, 14, also suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning and were taken to Essentia Health-St Mary's Medical Center in Duluth, before being transferred to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis, where they remain in critical condition, according to the Star Tribune.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety issued warnings in the wake of the tragedy, saying the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning increases as temperatures drop and people burn more fuel.

They were helped in their appeal by Melissa Griggs, whose daughter died of carbon monoxide poisoning 10 years ago. They urged people across the state to ensure they have a working carbon monoxide alarm installed in their property.

Sheriff's Lt. Jason Lukovsky told the Star Tribune that one of the children had called their grandfather from inside the camper, where the family was living, saying there was a problem with the generator. High levels of carbon monoxide were found when authorities arrived on the scene, and no carbon monoxide detector was present.

Charlene Mechley had been student at the nearby Homecroft Elementary School in Duluth, the Pioneer Press reports, while Karley and Noah attend Duluth East High School and Ordean East Middle School respectively.

Related

Next Up