Skip to main content

After eating chocolates, Ramsey man dies from peanut allergy reaction

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A Ramsey man died this week from an allergic reaction to chocolates he had eaten – because they were made in the same factory where peanuts are used in other products.

The Star Tribune spoke with the family of Bruce Kelly, who said the 22-year-old and his twin brother Ryan had suffered from a peanut allergy all their lives, but found they could eat many foods with warnings on the label without a reaction.

The chocolates in this instance did not have peanuts as ingredients, but the label said they were made in a place where peanuts were used in other products. Nonetheless, Bruce Kelly had eaten several of them without a reaction in the days before his death, the newspaper says.

This past Monday however, he ate "three or four" and suffered the reaction that ultimately killed him, despite efforts by his brother and father to save him with a shot of epinephrine.

His parents, Brian and Beth told WCCO their sons had been allergic from a very young age and were careful even though many products carry warning labels without necessarily having peanuts in the product. They hope their son's tragic death can be a lesson for others.

"He was just always very scared, you know, very cautious," Beth told the station. "He didn’t just disregard candy bar labels."

"It’s going to be hard, very hard to live without my son, our son," she added.

The Thurston Lindberg funeral home website says Kelly's funeral is being held Saturday at 11 a.m. He is also survived by his sister Kirsten and grandmother Rita Kelly.

PeanutAllergy.com says around 3 million Americans report being allergic to peanuts, tree nuts or both, and it is the most common cause of food related death, with HowStuffWorks.com saying between 150-200 Americans every year die from an allergic reaction to peanuts.

According to Kids with Food Allergies, the FDA requires all packaged food with peanuts to have the ingredient labeled clearly on the package. Advisory statements such as "may contain peanut" or "made in a facility with peanut" are voluntary though.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 8.02.52 AM

Bde Maka Ska pavilion construction begins next week

The former lakeside food stand, home to Lola on the Lake, caught fire in 2019.

Pixabay - laptop computer dark screen

Undercover child sex sting sees 4 men arrested in St. Louis Park

One of the men is being held as he's in a position of authority of power over children.

Owl

New Raptor Center data shows 'substantial drop' in bird flu patients

However, the virus remains a serious health threat for birds.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 6.16.34 PM

Suspect kills himself after shooting woman and baby at Fargo restaurant

The suspect was found dead in a stolen vehicle in Minnesota.

CK Kyle Kasio

Charges: Guest stabbed three men as they slept in Albert Lea

Investigators believe the suspect is related to all three victims.

Kandiyohi County Courthouse

2 charged for fentanyl overdose death of 19-year-old

The-19-year-old died from a fentanyl overdose last month.

storm, severe weather

Severe thunderstorm watch: Hail, 65 mph gusts, tornadoes possible

The watch is just north of the Twin Cities metro area.

Lake Minnetonka

The staggering rise of Minnesota's most famous lakes this spring

Imagine dumping Lake Minnetonka into Lake Superior 47 times.

Marijuana, cannabis

Minnesota Senate shoots down latest marijuana legalization attempt

The bill didn't receive the required votes for further consideration on Wednesday.

tree

Minneapolis wants to use $1M in federal cash to plant 200,000 trees

The goal is to have these trees planted by the year 2040.

Screen Shot 2022-05-18 at 12.54.22 PM

MOA theater to debut wrap-around, 270-degree movie screen

The new technology will expand the movie screen onto the side walls of the theater auditorium.

Related

Community mourning after MN teen's death from peanut allergy

Funeral services for Jacob MacDonald are this Thursday.

Community mourning after MN teen's death from peanut allergy

Funeral services for Jacob MacDonald are this Thursday.