The Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis on Monday released another list that names priests with substantiated claims of sexual abuse of minors – the second such list in the past two months. WCCO reported that all but one of the nine names included on the list were said to be involved in incidents that happened between 25 and 50 years ago, and three of them are dead.
The Pioneer Press published a list of the nine names, along with information about where they served and their individual ministry status.
Last week, the Star Tribune reported that Ramsey County District Judge John Van de North ordered the archdiocese to create a list of all priests accused of sexually abusing minors since 2004, to be prepared by Feb. 18. That list is in addition to the list of 34 priests released in December. The judge ordered a list to include all priests who had been the subject of abuse complaints, not just those church officials had determined were “credibly accused.” The deadline for the release of the list was previously extended by the court.
A post on the Archdiocese's website said the nine newest names were found "as part of the ongoing review of clergy personnel files conducted by Kinsale Management Consulting," a company hired by the archdiocese in November that began reviewing church files in December.
The post continues: "It is a testament to the comprehensive review by the experienced Kinsale team that we are today disclosing seven cases of the nine that were not originally accounted for."
In a statement, Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia Fr. Charles Lachowitzer said, “The Archbishop’s senior staff is dedicating tremendous time and energy to get to the bottom of the allegations that have surfaced in recent months. Kinsale’s professional expertise and meticulous approach to the clergy file review contributes to giving us confidence we are doing just that.”
Church officials in other parts of the state have also released lists of priests who faced credible claims of sexual abuse of minors.