Skip to main content

Archdiocese names priest to put together task force on sexual misconduct

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A priest who is also a University of St. Thomas law professor will put together a task force on sexual misconduct by clergy for the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis.

MPR reports Archbishop John Nienstedt announced the appointment of the Rev. Reginald Whitt in a letter to priests and asked them to spread the news among their parishoners over the weekend. MPR says Whitt will assemble the task force of lay people and will not sit on the panel himself.

In his letter to priests, Nienstedt calls allegations of priest misconduct the top priority for the archdiocese. The leader of an advocacy group for survivors of sexual abuse by priests is unimpressed by the church's response and told MPR the new task force is a smokescreen.

Also this weekend, a former official with the archdiocese said she resigned last spring because church leaders declined to pursue her allegations of sexual misconduct by clergy. Jennifer Haselberger alleges that the archdiocese failed to share with police a priest's computer files featuring pornography that may have involved children.

That issue is separate from last month's MPR investigation suggesting the archdiocese knew about the compulsions of the Rev. Curtis Wehmeyer for years without removing him from the ministry. Wehmeyer is now serving a prison sentence for sexually abusing two boys.

The vicar general of the archdiocese, the Rev. Peter Laird, resigned last week, saying he hoped his departure would help restore trust among victims of abuse.

The archdiocese also issued a statement last week saying recent media coverage leaves a false impression about its commitment to address misconduct by priests.

Next Up

snow

NWS: 'Safe to say' more active weather is ahead

Three rounds of light snow around Minnesota before more substantial precipitation becomes a possibility.

7F060B54-5776-4E1A-A42C-F36C22FAF493

Hero dad who stopped carjacker who fled with his kids identified

A GoFundMe has been set up to support Derek Gotchie and his family following the incident.

Screen Shot 2022-12-03 at 4.35.18 PM

Watch: New London-Spicer wins 3A championship on incredible walk-off TD

New London-Spicer defeated the unbeaten Dilworth-Glyndon-Felton in remarkable circumstances.

MoorheadMurderSuspect

Suspect in woman's killing in Moorhead is arrested

James Kollie Jr. was arrested Friday evening.

Jennifer Carnahan

Former chair Jennifer Carnahan sues Minnesota GOP, which is suing her back

Carnahan stepped down under a cloud of controversy in August 2021.

Minneapolis Fire Department

One injured after leaping from burning vacant building in Minneapolis

Authorities say the building is known to be used by squatters.

ambulance

Head-on crash leaves two drivers dead in southeastern Minnesota

The crash happened in Houston County just before 4 p.m. Friday.

ConellHarris

Charges: Armed man made death threats at Minneapolis LGBTQ bar

The man allegedly used derogatory terms while threatening to kill someone.

image

FDA pulls last COVID-19 monoclonal antibody treatment as new variants rise

A therapy used to treat more than 11,000 Minnesotans is no longer authorized amid a surge in the latest COVID-19 variants.

Austin Robert LeClaire

Charges: Plymouth man shot girlfriend in head after birthday party

The 23-year-old victim is in critical condition as of Friday.

image

State announces $2.5M in grants for child care providers

Child care providers in roughly a dozen communities will receive funds to help grow the supply of affordable, quality child care.

Related