MPR News reports a delay in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis' decision to release the names of priests living in the archdiocese that it believes sexually abused children. Archbishop John Neinstedt said earlier this month he would release the names in November, but in a statement late Friday said he will wait until at least Dec.2, when the matter will be heard in Ramsey County District Court.
Nienstedt first said he would disclose the names after MPR News reported that church leaders have been protecting an admitted abuser, the Rev. Clarence Vavra, and did not report the abuse to police.
According to the Associated Press, the archdiocese just learned a meeting with a judge had been scheduled for December, and it is waiting for a judge's order to release the list.
"Sharing information about clergy who have substantiated claims of sexually abusing minors is a critical element of Archbishop Nienstedt's commitment to strengthening archdiocesan procedures so that victims can begin to heal and to ensure the safety of minors in our care," the archdiocese said in a statement.
The archdiocese said a protective order has been in place in Ramsey County District Court since 2009 related to the disclosure.
Attorneys for the victims told MPR News the archbishop does not need a judge's order to release the list.