Another 17 clergy members associated with the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis are newly accused of sexually abusing a child, and were identified by lawyers representing alleged victims this week.
Jeff Anderson and Associates, which has been heavily involved in church sex abuse cases, published the list Wednesday (click here to see it).
MPR reports while some of the names had been mentioned before, none were formally accused of abuse up until this point.
Not included in the release are any details about the claims – what abuse is alleged to have occurred, or when and where it happened.
In a statement, the archdiocese said that "in most cases," the conduct occurred decades ago, but offered no other information.
A notice of claims for each of the 17 names was submitted to the archdiocese.
What does that mean? It basically lets the archdiocese knows there may be a lawsuit coming concerning the claims.
However, the Pioneer Press says because the archdiocese is going through bankruptcy, no actual suits against the church can actually be filed.
Church releases 4 more names
Also on Wednesday, the archdiocese revealed the names of four priests who have "substantial claims against them of sexually abusing a minor."
- Michael Bik
- James Robert Murphy
- James Namie
- Raimond Rose
All four of the reported incidents happened between 30 and 60-years-ago. One is deceased, and the other three have been out of the ministry for at least a decade.
"I am profoundly saddened by the effect clergy sexual abuse continues to have on victims/survivors, their families and the community," Archbishop John Nienstedt said.