Update: Man missing in Mississippi River presumed dead, officials say

Author:
Publish date:
Image placeholder title

The Hennepin County Sheriff's Office says the man who was seen this morning in the Mississippi River in Minneapolis is presumed dead.

According to the sheriff's office press release, witnesses reported seeing a man in the river north of the Hennepin Avenue Bridge just after 10:30 a.m.

First responders attempted to throw the victim a rope with a flotation device attached, but it proved unsuccessful. The man was last seen going under the water. He has yet to be located and is believed to have drowned.

The search and recovery effort will continue, however.

The Sheriff’s Office Water Patrol Unit deployed boats to search the river. The Minneapolis Police Department, Minneapolis Fire Department and a State Patrol helicopter responded to the scene. The sheriff’s office is investigating.

The Mississippi River remained in flood stage late last week, in an area spanning from Minneapolis to places near St. Louis, Weather.com reported.

The Mississippi River, which crested last Thursday at more than 6 feet above flood stage, is expected to fall below major flood stage in St. Paul by Wednesday, but officials told the Pioneer Press it could be weeks before roads, parks and trails can be reopened.

Next Up

Related