A Waseca teenager who faces explosive charges will remain in the Waseca County Jail for the time being after a judge set his bail at $500,000 and ordered a bail study.
John LaDue, now 18, faces six counts of felony possession of an explosive or incendiary device in connection with what prosecutors say was a plot to kill his family and bomb his school. The most serious charges against him were dropped earlier this year.
Last week, a judge ruled LaDue, who was 17 at the time of his 2014 arrest, would be tried as an adult.
And on Monday, Judge Larry Collins set LaDue's bail at $500,000 with conditions – less than what County Attorney Brenda Miller had requested, the Mankato Free Press reports.
Those include making court appearances as necessary; staying away from Waseca Public Schools; not possessing weapons; not watching violent TV programs; and not having Internet access, among others, KSTP says.
His family has no plans to bail him out of jail because they don't know if they can afford it, LaDue's father David LaDue told KTTC Monday. David LaDue also told the news station he was surprised his son is being tried as an adult because he didn't commit a violent act.
Judge orders bail study
The judge has ordered a bail study, which will determine if John LaDue should remain in the Waseca County Jail or be transferred back to the Prairie Lakes juvenile facility in Willmar, KEYC notes.
LaDue's attorney says he should return to the juvenile facility so he can get the treatment he needs for his behavior, while prosecutor Brenda Miller argued LaDue should remain at the adult facility because he's being tried as an adult.
His next court appearance – which will discuss the bail study – is set for Sept. 18, reports note.