Skip to main content

Bankruptcy judge rules Tom Petters clawbacks can go back as far as 1995

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

A U.S. Bankruptcy judge ruled this week that clawback activities in Tom Petters' corporate bankruptcy case to recover "false profits" can now date back to 1995, the Star Tribune reports.

The ruling by U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Gregory Kishel goes back much further than the six-year statute of limitations.

Kishel's ruling says the trustee in the case can go back up to 13 years from 2008 filing to the former Twin Cities businessman's Ponzi scheme. Federal authorities allege the Ponzi scheme began in 1995 and ran until they shut it down in 2008.

According to the Star Tribune, that means the trustee Doug Kelley can attempt to collect up to $60 million in purported "fraudulent transfers" between Petters and investors beyond the six-year statute of limitations.

The paper said Petters raised money in his $3.65 billion Ponzi scheme by getting investors to finance the purchase and sale of non-existent consumer electronic goods, and paid off old investors with the new investors' money.

To date, Kelly has collected $310 million for the bankruptcy estate, including clawbacks.

The ruling comes on the heels of the conviction of former Petters associate James Fry.

Fry, 59, was the last Petters associate to be tried in the Ponzi scheme.

He was convicted on all 12 counts of wire and securities fraud and for making false statements to the Securities and Exchange Commission about his role as an investment manager for Petters.

Petters, 55, is currently serving a 50-year sentence at Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary in Leavenworth, Kan.

Last month, an attorney for Petters filed a motion in federal court to get the sentence thrown out, claiming "ineffective assistance of counsel."

In his filing, Steven Meshbesher, maintained Petters’ old counsel, Jon Hopeman, "provided constitutionally deficient counsel when he failed to communicate a plea offer to Defendant Petters prior to trial."

Next Up

Semi into house near Sturgis, South Dakota

Semi drives into house near Sturgis, South Dakota

The force from the semi was so strong that the foundation of the house was moved.

ambulance

18-year-old from Zumbrota dies in Goodhue County crash

The crash happened in rural Goodhue County around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday.

thomas beach, bde maka ska - lake calhoun

3 Minneapolis beaches closed due to E. coli contamination

No illnesses have been reported, according to the MPRB.

Hockeyland1

'Hockeyland' documentary debuting in Minnesota movie theaters

The documentary has received great reviews at numerous film festivals.

Flickr - police lights squad siren - Edward Kimmel

Former Minnesota Olympic runner accused of driving drunk in Eden Prairie crash

Police said the man's blood alcohol level was three times the legal limit.

ATV

Man, 79, killed in ATV rollover near Faribault

The man was declared dead at the scene.

minneapolis police

Woman fighting for her life after shooting in Minneapolis

The woman was shot only about a half-hour after a 14-year-old suffered critical injuries in an apparent accidental discharge.

prior lake high school

Two students face discipline over racist messages at Prior Lake High School

Families and students were largely uncooperative with the investigation.

Sharon and Herb Vasser

Cause of Hopkins house explosion that killed couple revealed

Sharon and Herb Vassar were killed in the explosion. Herb built the home back in 1962.

Arrows on target

Charges: Minnesota camp counselor fired arrows at kids, injuring boy

An 8-year-old boy was shot in the arm with an arrow.

North Shore Mayor Chris Swanson.

Two Harbors votes overwhelmingly to recall Mayor Chris Swanson

The mayor had been scrutinized for several things leading up to the vote Tuesday.

Screen Shot 2022-08-10 at 8.43.50 AM

Suspected gunman at large after homicide near Albert Lea

The 32-year-old suspect was last seen in a 2004 white Ford F-150 with Minnesota license number EUZ-057.

Related

Trustee to recover $8.4 million from Tom Petters' former employees

The bankruptcy trustee in the case has struck deals with 30 of the fraudster's former employees. The deals include some sizable settlements with former executives. The money will eventually be redistributed to victims of the multi-billion-dollar Ponzi scheme. Tom Petters is serving a 50-year sentence.

Judge OKs three clawback settlements in Petters case

The bankruptcy estate of former Minnesota businessman Tom Petters will receive nearly $34 million. A U.S. District Judge approved three “clawback” settlements with GE Capital, Fredrikson & Byron, and the John T. Petters Foundation. Petters is currently serving a 50-year prison sentence for his fraud conviction.

U.S. Supreme Court won't review Tom Petters' fraud conviction

The Minnesota businessman had asked the nation's highest court to review his case. Petters was convicted on charges of orchestrating a $3.65 billion Ponzi scheme and is serving a 50-year prison sentence. His attorneys argued that the trial judge barred them from presenting evidence.