Starting at 10 p.m. Thursday night, Best Buy is launching a 50-hour sale to mark its 50th birthday.
The Richfield-based retailer is promising "Black Friday-like" deals on the latest tech during the sale, which will run until 11:59 p.m. on Saturday.
Some of the deals it's promising to mark its 50th anniversary include $150 off select MacBook Pro computers (and another $150 off for students through its Student Deals program), as well as $400 off a 65-inch Samsung 4K ultra-HD television.
Other deals include:
- $180 off Beats Studio wireless on-ear headphones.
- 70 percent off LEGO Dimensions, Skylanders and amiibo.
- iPhone 6 for $1 or iPhone 6S for $99.99 if you sign up for a two-year contract with Sprint or Verizon, saving $200. Alternatively you can get a $200 gift card by buying either phone with an AT&T Next plan.
- $50 off Garmin Vivosmart HR activity tracker.
- If you buy a Playstation 4 "Call of Duty" bundle, you get "Destiny" and two more games free.
- A $50 gift card if you buy a Swagtron T1 self-balancing scooter online.
The electronics giant was founded in 1966 by Richard Schulze and was called "Sound of Music," opening its first store in Burnsville, before changing its name to Best Buy in 1983.
The company has experienced challenging trading conditions in recent years, but has turned itself around after analysts were predicting its demise and is proving itself adept at fending off challenges from online rivals like Amazon.
But on Monday, the retailer's stock was downgraded on the back of the plunging value of 4K televisions, with Target and Walmart increasing their stock ahead of the holiday season – which could adversely impact Best Buy's performance, InvestorPlace reports.
Last month, BringMeTheNews took a look at what the future might hold for Best Buy; take a look at it here.