Black Lives Matter Minneapolis will hold another protest at Mall of America the Wednesday before Christmas – unless they get justice for Jamar Clark, the man fatally shot by Minneapolis police last month.
Clark's death prompted #Justice4Jamar demonstrations at the Fourth Precinct police station in north Minneapolis, as well as protest marches downtown.
Black Lives Matter Minneapolis, which has been one of the organizers of the recent demonstrations, announced Thursday it plans to return to the Mall of America on Dec. 23 unless their demands are met.
Activists continue to call for the release of video of the shooting; that a special prosecutor instead of a grand jury determines potential charges against the police officers involved; and that the men charged in connection with the shooting of five protesters face federal domestic terrorist charges, among other demands.
Numerous people were charged in connection with the protest, however charges against the organizers were recently dropped.
Attorney for mall responds
Susan Gaertner, an attorney with Gray Plant Mooty representing the mall, told BringMeTheNews Thursday the "hope" is to prevent the protest from happening before it actually occurs.
"Mall of America is intending to do whatever it can to communicate loud and clear that, again, it does not allow protests on its property. No matter how important or good the cause," she said. The mall "intends to use whatever methods it can, whatever remedies it has, to communicate that message and to try to prevent the protest form happening."
Gaertner said Judge Peter Cahill, who's overseen much of the case from last year, "could not have been clearer" in his ruling that the Mall of America is private property, and has a right to prohibit protests “no matter how righteous the cause might be.”
Cahill issued a 137-page ruling last month, which dismissed charges against some organizers of last year's demonstration, but not against some who were arrested at the mall.