Boy sickened by Tide Pod goes home from hospital - Bring Me The News

Boy sickened by Tide Pod goes home from hospital

Author:
Publish date:

The Hitterdal, Minn. toddler who spent several days in intensive care after swallowing a packet of concentrated laundry detergent is out of the hospital.

Late last week, 1-year-old Alex Rohde began improving and was breathing on his own.

According to his CaringBridge site, Alex was released from the hospital Thursday.

"After 13 long days, Alex finally gets to go HOME! We are so happy and thankful! A huge Thank You to all who supported us and prayed for Alex!" the site read.

Alex got a hold of a Tide Pod -- a small, brightly-colored packet likely mistaken for a piece of candy -- and swallowed it about two weeks ago.

His mother, Michelle Klienschmidt, gave her son milk as the package directed her to do if swallowed. She then called Poison Control and 911 before the toddler was rushed to Sanford Hospital in Fargo.

"A big Thank you to all the Doctors and Nurses who saved Alex and took such very good care of him," the CaringBridge site said.

To help the family pay for mounting medical bills, donations are being accepted at Gate City Bank locations, the Associated Press.

Next Up

Related

Minnesota boy dies from drug-resistant superbug at Maryland hospital

A boy from Minnesota is the seventh victim of a deadly superbug outbreak that began at a Maryland hospital. The Washington Post reports the seriously ill boy suffered arrived at the hospital after complications arrose from a bone marrow transplant last year. The antibiotic-resistant strain of the bacterium Klebsiella pneumoniae arrived at the hospital last fall, but the boy's infection was the first that has shown up since January.