Skip to main content
Updated:
Original:

Breck School and former student reach settlement in sex abuse cover-up suit

Author:

A settlement was reached in a lawsuit filed by a former student at Breck School who alleged he was sexually assaulted by a teacher in the 1970s, the Star Tribune reports.

The suit filed by Richard Covin, now in his 50s, against the college preparatory school school claims Breck officials didn't do enough to protect the student from abuse by William Allan Jacobs, 70.

Minnesota Public Radio reported that Jacobs told the Breck headmaster in 1974 that he had abused a student and promised not to do it again, according to a deposition. Covin was abused by Jacobs during a three-year period after that conversation, MPR said.

The details of the settlement weren't disclosed. Covin initially sought $50,000 in damages.

Before coming to Breck in 1973, Jacobs was a camp counselor in northern Minnesota and taught at Blake School. Jacobs later went on to serve as chief of Minneapolis Park Police until 2001.

After a teenager came forward in 2010 and told police Jacobs had been molesting him, multiple victims followed. A separate Star Tribune report said 17 victims alleged they were abused by Jacobs between 1962 and 1980, but prosecutors were only allowed to present testimony from three of them.

Jacobs is currently serving an 18-year prison sentence after pleading guilty to three counts of second-degree criminal sexual conduct and three counts of possessing child pornography.

Next Up

Gopher Basketball

Michigan State hands Gophers first loss

The 19th ranked Spartans knocked Minnesota from the ranks of the unbeaten.

Karl-Anthony Towns, Chris Finch

Patrick Beverley returns but Jazz rout Timberwolves

The Jazz avenged last season's 0-3 record with a blowout victory.

Eric Kendricks

Vikings-Steelers: 5 things you can count on

After an embarrassing loss to the Lions, can the Vikings get it together?

snow, snowing

Winter storm watch expands north, includes parts of Twin Cities

Everyone in southern Minnesota will want to keep an eye on forecast changes.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 6.45.53 PM

5-year-old boy fatally shot on Thanksgiving identified

Police said a few juveniles at the home were making a social media video when the gun went off.

PAMP travail 1

Pig Ate My Pizza will close at the end of the year.

Its leaders plan to relaunch and "get back to the humble beginnings of Travail."

flickr - criticla care nurses nov 2021

Allina parts ways with 53 of 27,000 employees over vaccine mandate

That's about 0.2% of the health care system's workforce.

US Bank Stadium, Vikings fans

Matthew Coller: How will Vikings fans react on Thursday night?

Will years of disappointment be revealed if the Vikings struggle against the Steelers?

dinner party holidays gathering celebration 1

Health officials encourage getting vaccinated and tested before the holidays

The state has launched a "Celebrate Safely, Minnesota" campaign to make it easier to get tested and vaccinated.

Kjellberg booking photo crop

Charges: Parking dispute, scuffle preceded fatal stabbing

The suspect said he was upset about neighbors and their friends regularly parking on his property.

Dave Hutchinson

Hennepin Co. Sheriff injured in rollover, admits to drinking beforehand

The sheriff, in a statement, called it an "inexcusable decision."

CDC - vaccine band aid

COVID cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in MN dominated by unvaccinated

The latest figures from October show a disproportionate number of deaths among the unvaccinated.

Related

Former priest alleges cover-up of sex abuse by Catholic, Episcopalian leaders

A former priest says officials at St. Johns Abbey in Collegeville were well aware of his inappropriate sexual contact. After St. Johns he went on to abuse members of a boys choir in Missouri. He says some 16 Catholic leaders and a top ranking Episcopalian leader were aware of the problem and chose to do nothing.