Skip to main content

Cabbage likely culprit in Applebee's E. coli cases, investigation finds

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

Health investigators say cabbage was the likely culprit in an outbreak of E. coli illnesses that sickened more than a dozen people in Minnesota this summer.

The Associated Press reports the Minnesota Department of Health says the cabbage was likely contaminated before it arrived in Minnesota.

Most of the 15 E. coli cases health officials confirmed during the outbreak struck people who had eaten at Applebee's restaurants. Nine of the chain's Minnesota outlets were tied to the illnesses, which occurred in late June and early July. Several reported eating a chicken salad dish. Applebee's temporarily pulled the item off the menu at its Minnesota restaurants.

As Food Safety News reports, Minnesota officials traced the cabbage to a supplier outside the state and are working with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration on the continuing investigation. According to their article, the particular strain of E. coli in this outbreak is one not previously found in the U.S.

The Health Department says four people were hospitalized and all of them recovered.

A Minneapolis law firm is suing Applebee's on behalf of a Hudson, Wisconsin, man who says he became sick after eating at the restaurant's Woodbury location.

The E. coli cases thought to be caused by tainted cabbage are separate from another outbreak of 13 illnesses that health officials have linked to a traveling petting zoo.

The Health Department says there are more than 700 types of E. coli bacteria found in the intestines of humans and animals. While most are harmless, a few strains lead to illnesses. The symptoms – such as abdominal cramps and diarrhea – usually subside after several days but those with weaker immune systems are more prone to complications.

Next Up

image

Nicollet Mall's new Ties Lounge & Rooftop closes 'indefinitely'

The establishment aimed to reconnect the downtown community.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.15.44 AM

Chinese restaurant closing after 50 years in Columbia Heights

The beloved family-owned restaurant will close Dec. 24.

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 9.43.40 AM

Kris Laudien leaving KARE 11 after four years on 'Sunrise'

KARE 11 announced the appointment of Jason Hackett to the morning show this week.

covid

MN's COVID update for the week ending Tuesday, Nov. 29

There are now more than 570 people hospitalized with COVID-19 in Minnesota.

MNAPresser12122

Twin Cities nurses to strike for 20 days starting Dec. 11

A strike in Duluth and Two Harbors doesn't have an end date set.

WELYRadio

New owners to take over long-running Ely radio station

WELY will go off the air temporarily starting Thursday, pending the sale.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 12.35.25 PM

Minneapolis man gets 10 years for death threats against Hennepin Co. employees

Peter Robert Berry, 60, was sentenced in U.S. District Court Wednesday.

PrinsburgGoogle

Rural MN town to consider ordinance allowing lawsuits against abortion providers

Attorney General Keith Ellison said the ordinance would violate the state constitution.

unnamed

Hope Breakfast Bar owners plan new location in Eagan

The Eagan restaurant plans feature an outdoor patio.

Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 5.48.13 PM

Court approves $600K payment to protesters, restrictions on Minneapolis police

Each of the 12 protesters will receive $50,000 as a result.

Related