PxPixel
Candles cause major fire at Uptown condo building - Bring Me The News

Candles cause major fire at Uptown condo building

Author:
Publish date:

Minneapolis fire officials say candles left unattended caused a fire that destroyed an eight-unit condo building in Uptown, KARE 11 reports.

Firefighters were called to the three-story building on West Lake Street and Irving Avenue around 8:30 a.m. Friday. Smoke billowed through Uptown for much of the day while dozens of firefighters battled the blaze.

All but one resident managed to get out of the building safely. The Star Tribune says 70-year-old Sandra Golob was hospitalized for smoke inhalation. She's listed in satisfactory condition at Hennepin County Medical Center.

WCCO reports a firefighter is also recovering after suffering burns to his face.

Nearby businesses Dunn Bros Coffee and Bruegger's Bagels were evacuated as a precaution and will likely be closed for the weekend due to water damage.

The 100-year-old building was demolished Friday afternoon, leaving about 20 people without a place to live.

A restaurant across the street, Amore Victoria Ristorante, will hold a silent auction benefit for the fire victims on Jan. 9.

Next Up

Related