Skip to main content
Updated:
Original:

Carbon monoxide poisoning killed 2 people found in Buffalo Wild Wings parking lot

An autopsy found carbon monoxide poisoning was the main cause.

Authorities have finally provided a concrete answer about what led to the death of two people discovered in a Buffalo Wild Wings parking lot last month.

Alissa Spah, 20, of Andover, and 22-year-old Antonio Perfetti, from Ham Lake, were found in a car on a Thursday afternoon at 3395 River Rapids Drive NW in Coon Rapids. Police said their deaths were likely accidental – there were no signs of trauma – but couldn't offer a certain cause of death until full autopsy results came back.

On Tuesday, the Anoka County Medical Examiner released those findings

Both died of carbon monoxide toxicity, the examiner said, noting that "recent cocaine use" was "a significant condition."

The examiner also listed it officially as an accident.

Carbon monoxide and cars

Carbon monoxide is odorless and tasteless, making it especially dangerous.

Internal combustion gasoline engines produce carbon monoxide – a lot of it, Iowa State University says. And if things aren't hooked up right or are leaking, the gas can make its way into the car, putting occupants in danger.

"Exhaust systems must be gas tight from the engine to the end of the tailpipe," the school says.

One example: In December of 2016, a couple in England were found dead in their car. Investigators found the car had been modified – the catalytic converter was removed, and there was a gap between the engine and exhaust. That let carbon monoxide fumes get sucked into the car, the Daily Mail said.

Lifewire suggests getting your exhaust and emissions systems checked regularly, as well as avoiding driving with holes in the floor or a trunk/liftgate open. And of course never turn your car on in an enclosed space, such as a garage.

According to the CDC, at least 430 people die in the U.S. every year from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning (including in homes or around generators).

Next Up

pexels - beer buy fridge store liquor

Municipal liquor stores in 24 MN cities could be in jeopardy

These sites reported losses in two of the last three years, triggering a mandatory hearing.

Mats Zuccarello

2 Minnesota Wild players test positive for COVID-19

Both players will be unavailable Thursday night when the Wild face the expansion Kraken.

Target deals weekly ad - 10.31.2021

Target reveals first Black Friday deals, available next week

There are some steep discounts to be had, even though Black Friday is nearly a month away.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 10.10.36 AM

'Dancing with the Stars: Live!' coming to Minnesota in February

The show's professional dancers will be at Mystic Lake.

Train derailment Fairmont screengrab

WATCH: Video shows terrifying moment train derails in Fairmont

A large chunk of the track appears to come off just before the derailment.

brewery

Grocery store beer sales? MN House hears nearly 30 proposals to update liquor laws

Calls to change the state's liquor laws grew louder during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.57.25 AM

3 people found dead inside home in Farmington

Police were conducting a welfare check when they found three people dead inside the home.

Screen Shot 2021-10-28 at 7.26.58 AM

Headstones pushed over, smashed by vandals at cemetery in Alexandria

Police have released images of a vehicle they believe is connected to the case.

249680859_3960236007411518_889783566561667391_n

Puppies abandoned at Chaska golf course

It's illegal to abandon animals in Minnesota.

Karl-Anthony Towns

Post Bucks win, KAT says “I play with f****** passion”

Towns was asked how he controls his emotions on the court.

D'Angelo Russell

Wolves rebound with statement win against Bucks

D'Angelo Russell and the Timberwolves bounced back with a win over the defending champs.

Related

2 people found dead in Buffalo Wild Wings parking lot

Officials are still trying to figure out what killed them.

Hole in exhaust pipe found on boat where girl died of carbon monoxide poisoning

Baechler, a second-grader at Concord Elementary School, died Sunday.

Here are the warning signs for carbon monoxide poisoning

10 people in St. Paul were hospitalized with CO poisoning on New Year's Day.

carbon monoxide

Man, dog die in suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

The discovery was made in northeastern Minnesota.