Authorities have determined a cause of death for the two Minnesota sisters who died mysteriously while on vacation in the East African island country of Seychelles.
The Seychelles News Agency reported 42-year-old Robin Marie Korkki died from acute pulmonary edema – that's water in the lungs. And her younger sister, 37-year-old Anne Marie Korkki, died of acute pulmonary and cerebral edema – water in the lungs and brain.
There were no signs of visible injuries on either woman's body, and toxicology tests are pending. Police are investigating, the agency says.
The two died on Sept. 22 at a resort in Anne Louis, a week after they arrived and two days before they were due to return home. Their bodies were both found unresponsive in their bedrooms by resort staff, and the day before they had been seen drinking alcohol throughout the day, and were helped to their room at 8:15 p.m., according to the paper.
Annie Korkki had posted several pictures of their stay at the Maia Luxury Resort and Spa to her Facebook page in the days leading up to their deaths, one of them with the caption, “Best place ever!”
An online fundraising campaign was started to help the Korkki family with the healing process and travel expenses. It is now a memorial page, and is asking supporters for prayers and compassion. It says their mother and brother traveled to Seychelles to make arrangements for bringing them home.
“Their untimely death has left many all over the world saddened and undoubtedly heart broken. Robin & Annie were loving sisters and best friends,” the GiveForward page says.