Charges have been dropped against one of four men charged in connection with a shooting that happened at a Jamar Clark protest.
Daniel Macey of Pine City had been charged with riot and aiding an offender in connection with the Nov. 23, 2015, shooting outside the Minneapolis Police Department’s Fourth Precinct. Protesters were demonstrating there following Clark’s death.
However, Chuck Laszewski with the Hennepin County Attorney's Office says a judge dismissed all charges against the 27-year-old Macey Monday evening. Laszewski would not go into detail, but according to the Associated Press, the judge said prosecutors didn't have enough evidence.
GoMN has reached out to Macey's attorney for comment, and we'll update this story when we hear back.
According to the Star Tribune, defense attorneys have motioned to have charges against the other two co-defendants – Nathan Gustavsson and Joseph Backman – dropped as well.
Judge Hilary Caligiuri is working on all these cases, but she hasn't made a decision for the other two men yet. Officials with the Hennepin County Attorney's Office expect decisions soon.
Earlier this month, one of the men – Allen Scarsella of Lakeville – was found guilty of shooting five people at the protest.