Update: Suspect cleared
In January of 2016, the suspect charged in connection with the assault was cleared of any wrongdoing after an analysis of DNA evidence.
Charles Edward Stevenson is no longer facing criminal charges for the attack, and has been exonerated.
A second suspect has now been charged.
A convicted sex offender has been charged with sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl at gunpoint in two alleyways in north Minneapolis earlier this month.
Charles Edward Stevenson, 34, of Minneapolis, is alleged to have carried out the attack on Nov. 2, sexually assaulting his victim in an alley between 29th St. and Irving Ave. N., before assaulting her again between 27th St. and Russell Ave. N.
Stevenson was convicted of sexually assaulting a girl of the same age in 2003, and in 2009 was ordered to register as a "predatory offender" until 2027 following a conviction for aiding and abetting prostitution.
According to the criminal complaint, the 15-year-old victim was walking mid-block between 29th and Irving when she saw a man jogging toward her. He then put a gun to her head, said "don't move" and took her behind a house to the alleyway.
He then forced her to perform oral sex on him and committed an assault with penetration. After instructing her to get dressed, he took her to a second alley and repeated the assault.
The victim identified Stevenson after looking at a computer-generated lineup of known offenders based on her description of him.
Stevenson was arrested after calling police to clarify his sex offender registration requirements. His registered address was close to where the assaults took place, but he said he had been living in Minnetonka.
He has been charged by the Hennepin County Attorney with one count of criminal sexual conduct in the 1st degree, and one count of violating his registration requirements.