Chicago man pleads guilty in Minneapolis double homicide

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A Chicago man charged with fatally shooting two people in Minneapolis earlier this spring pleaded guilty, the Hennepin County Attorney's Office said Tuesday.

Brian Deshawn Morse, 22, was charged in the deaths of 47-year-old Odell Frazier and 56-year-old Eddie Pelmore. The two men, both of Minneapolis, were sitting in a car on the city's north side when they were killed April 8.

Both suffered gunshot wounds to the head.

While entering his guilty plea Tuesday, Morse admitted to killing the two men, but "gave no real reason" for his actions, the Hennepin County Attorney's Office says.

Morse was arrested and initially charged with second-degree intentional murder, two counts which he pleaded guilty to on Tuesday,

But just four days earlier, a Hennepin County Grand Jury indicted him on first-degree murder charges – a charge which, if Morse had been convicted, meant automatic life in prison without parole.

Instead, with his guilty plea, Morse is expected to receive 55 years in prison, the county attorney says.

He'll be sentenced on July 13.

The charges

According to the criminal complaint, Pelmore was intending to sell marijuana to Morse on the day of the shooting.

Morse shot both men multiple times, then was chased on foot by a Minneapolis police office, the criminal complaint says.

The officer saw Morse toss a handgun over a fence during the chase; the gun was later recovered and testing confirmed it was the murder weapon, according to the charges.

Police have said a second suspect was with Morse at the time. The 30-year-old Minneapolis man turned himself in to police four days after the shooting, but as of this point he has not been charged.

The Hennepin County Attorney's Office says the investigation continues.

Next Up

Related