Skip to main content

CO poisoning suspected in death of angler on Leech Lake

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

One man died and three others were sickened in an ice fishing house on Leech Lake, in what investigators suspect is a case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Cass County Sheriff Tom Burch says a medical emergency was reported on Walker Bay a little after 4:30 p.m.Sunday. The initial investigation found that a propane device used to heat the ice house was not ventilated, leading to unsafe levels of carbon monoxide inside, Burch's announcement says.

One of the men was dead at the scene. Another was hospitalized – first in Park Rapids and then at Hennepin County Medical Center. The other two men were treated at the scene and released, the sheriff says.

Authorities did not immediately release the names of the men. The Ramsey County medical examiner will conduct an autopsy on the victim who died.

Keep propane tanks outside fish houses

The Minnesota Propane Gas Association says propane cylinders should always be kept outside a fish house and should be connected to an indoor heater with approved pipes and fittings.

The DNR says tanks and hoses should be checked for leaks each year and heater vents should be clear of obstructions like bird's nests or snow. They also recommend a carbon monoxide detector for the fish house.

If you are suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, one of the first symptoms is usually a headache, but find a list of other symptoms here.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2022-01-17 at 9.39.38 PM

Jordan Greenway runs into Darcy Kuemper, sparks fight

Kuemper got knocked out of the game, leading to the brawl.

Kirill Kaprizov

MacKinnon's controversial goal helps Avalanche top Wild

Kirill Kaprizov's two goals were spoiled by a questionable call.

powell itasca jail jan 2022 resize

Attorney accused of sex assault misses hearing, DMs judge

He was arrested the next day after a warrant was issued,

lorie shaull vulcan snow park st paul winter carnival 2018

Winter Carnival: Get vaccinated or test negative before coming

Organizers are also reminding people to be mindful of the city's emergency regulations.

hospital, emergency room

Driver, 15 years old, hurt when car collides with SUV

The road was wet at the time, the State Patrol said.

Tyler Wahl

Minnesotans have the Badgers back in the national spotlight

Three of Wisconsin's four leading scorers are from Minnesota.

Francisco Liriano

Liriano retires: Remembering his meteoric rise as a rookie

There was no one better than Liriano from mid-May to late-July in 2006.

Related

ambulance

8 people in Shakopee taken to hospital for CO poisoning

The family called 911 after three people were feeling sick.