Concerns raised after communications outage during NE Minn. floods - Bring Me The News

Concerns raised after communications outage during NE Minn. floods

A CenturyLink fiber-optic line break during last month's flooding that resulted in the loss of 911 emergency, landline, cell phone and Internet services has residents in the region concerned and frustrated. The Lake County News Chronicle reports that much of the county and the North Shore went without communications service for 13 hours after the break.
Author:
Publish date:

A CenturyLink fiber-optic line break during last month's flooding that resulted in the loss of 911 emergency, landline, cell phone and Internet services has residents in the region concerned and frustrated. The Lake County News Chronicle reports that much of the county and the North Shore went without communications service for 13 hours after the break.

Next Up

Related

Flood of trash replaces flood waters in NE Minnesota

Now that the waters have abated in northeastern Minnesota following last week's storms, area residents are dealing with a flood of trash. The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District's Materials Recovery Center in Duluth is one of the destinations for the trash, which is coming in from a 530 square mile area covering St. Louis and Carlton counties.

Dayton to request $108M in disaster aid for NE Minnesota floods

Gov. Mark Dayton announced in Duluth Friday that he will ask President Barack Obama for a $108 million disaster declaration stemming from last week's floods in northeastern Minnesota. The money will be used to repair damages sustained by public infrastructure in the 13 counties and three tribal areas affected by the flooding.

FEMA flood damage assessments in NE Minn. not done yet

The Federal Emergency Management Agency says it will continue assessing damage to private property stemming from the floods in northeast Minnesota last month, and will be here for as long needed. State and federal officials have been in Carlton, St. Louis, Aitkin and Pine counties, as well as on the Fond du Lac Reservation, looking at the damage.

Feds reject individual flooding aid in NE Minn.

A request for federal individual assistance for Northeastern Minnesota has been denied. W. Craig Engate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told Gov. Mark Dayton in a letter that damage to dwellings from the flooding that began June 19 “was not of such severity and magnitude as to warrant the implementation of individual assistance.” The state has 30 days to appeal the decision. Gov. Mark Dayton "is very disappointed."

Duluth kids set up lemonade stand to raise money for flooded zoo

Everybody's pitching in to get flood-damaged Duluth back on its feet, including the city's younger residents. KAAL-TV reports that some local kids have set up a stand to sell lemonade and Rice Krispie treats at 50 cents a piece, and so far they've raised $50. The Lake Superior Zoo lost several animals in the recent flooding.

Despite flooding, Duluth tourism officials say city open for business

Tourism officials in Duluth said despite the record breaking flooding that devastated parts of the city, restaurants and other tourism-related businesses in the city are open for business. Some officials in the city and surrounding areas are worried about how the damage will affect the region's $800 million tourism industry.

Feds approve disaster aid for NE Minnesota flood damage

The disaster declaration for 13 Minnesota counties and three tribal nations devastated by flooding in northeastern Minnesota last month was approved Friday by the federal government. The $108 million in aid only covers damage to public infrastructure.

Franken tours flood damaged cities in NE Minnesota

U.S. Sen. Al Franken had a busy Saturday visiting several areas damaged in recent flooding in northeastern Minnesota. Franken -- who co-sponsored the state's $108 million disaster declaration with Gov. Mark Dayton and U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar -- made stops in Duluth's Fond du Lac neighborhood, Barnum, Moose Lake and Willow River.