Skip to main content
Updated:
Original:

Crookston couple dead from possible carbon monoxide poisoning

Author:

A Crookston couple were found dead in their home, and two of their daughters were sickened early Monday morning, possibly because of carbon monoxide poisoning, the Fargo Forum reports.

Kent Ostgaard, 49, and Natalie Ostgaard, 51, were pronounced dead at the scene. Their daughter, 22-year-old Aryanna Ostgaard, was found unconscious but breathing. She is in critical condition at Altru Hospital in Grand Forks, according to Polk County Sheriff's Deputy Jim Tadman.

The Ostgaards' youngest daughter, Gabi, 17, called 911 at 7:49 a.m. to alert authorities, and she was found in the home still conscious. She was treated and released, Tadman told the Fargo Forum.

The Ostgaards' middle child, Cyrina, attends the University of Minnesota Duluth, the Crookston Times reports.

The furnace in the home was off, the Times reports, and a Facebook post from Natalie Ostgaard on Feb. 24 indicated that a part was needed to fix it. The next day, she posted an update saying the family was using other means to keep the house warm.

"We managed to make do with fireplaces, electric stove, blankets and the two heaters we have. Hoping this will be adequate until furnace is fixed!" her post said, according to the Crookston Times.

Crookston firefighters and ambulance crews responded, along with Polk County deputies, because the home is just outside Crookston city limits. Authorities continue to investigate the case, and the bodies of the Ostgaards will be autopsied to determine the exact cause of death.

The below-normal temperatures this winter have led to a series of carbon monoxide cases in the area. The higher cost of heating fuels and a shortage of propane have led some people to use fireplaces, ovens and even charcoal grills to heat their homes.

The Minnesota Department of Health says because carbon monoxide has no color or taste it cannot be detected by human senses. It can build up to dangerous concentrations indoors when fuel-burning devices are not properly vented, operated or maintained.

Health officials estimate that unintentional exposure to carbon monoxide accounts for 500 deaths in the United States each year.

To reduce your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, they recommend making sure all appliances and heating devices are properly vented, knowing the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, and installing and maintaining carbon monoxide detectors in your home in accordance with state laws.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 7.53.37 AM

Another 5,000 lbs. of goldfish removed from Carver County lakes

It all likely stemmed from people dumping their pets into local waters a few years ago.

Rosaleia Shelton

Appeal to find 19-year-old missing from Bloomington

The teen left her home on Monday afternoon.

hospital, emergency room

Deaths of twin fetuses after woman was shot ruled a double homicide

The woman was shot in the abdomen in mid-September.

Payton Willis / Gopher Basketball

Gophers improve to 5-0 with win over Jacksonville

The Gophers are establishing momentum early in the season.

Anthony Edwards

Ant's massive slam leads Timberwolves to fifth straight win

The dunk didn't count, but provided the highlight of the night.

Cam Talbot / Minnesota Wild

WIld arrive late, Cam Talbot stays on point to beat Devils

Despite a 30-minute delay, the Wild picked up a 3-2 victory.

Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 4.10.54 PM

Appeal to find 35-year-old missing from Oak Grove home

Police say he's not believed to be in danger.

vote, election

7 MN Republicans urge states to audit 2020 election results

There has been no evidence of significant fraud in any single U.S. state.

child vaccine pexels

How many MN kids age 5-11 have received a COVID vaccine dose?

The governor says the state has one of the highest child vaccination rates in the U.S.

police lights

Seven juveniles arrested in connection with stolen vehicles in Woodbury

Woodbury authorities have issued a warning following a spate of auto thefts.

Related