Skip to main content

New treats! Dairy Queen introduces 'DQ Bakes,' chain's largest-ever menu expansion

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

When you're looking for a treat, you'll soon find a menu full of new options that are arriving at the nation's Dairy Queen outlets. The items on the new DQ Bakes menu include entrees with more complex flavor profiles and desserts that come out of the oven.

The Star Tribune said the Minnesota-based restaurant company will begin airing TV commericals next month, promoting DQ Bakes items like the Turkey BLT, Chicken Quesadilla and Triple Chocolate Brownie a la Mode. In all, the DQ Bakes menu features nine new options that are evenly split among three categories: snack melts, “artisan-style” hot sandwiches and hot desserts that come with DQ's signature soft-serve ice cream.

The DQ Bakes menu is arriving in time for the chain's 75th birthday. It represents the chain’s largest-ever menu expansion.

Back in April, restaurant industry publication Brand Eating noted that Dairy Queen, which was purchased by Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway company in 1998, had begun to "quietly roll out" the new menu, with items that are baked in turbo convection ovens, like those found at fast food competitors Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks, and Subway.

The Star Tribune story said that means franchisees with invest from $6,500 to $15,000 for the oven systems.

In June, Reuters reported the company had created the DQ Bakes! Institute at the company’s Edina headquarters, to teach franchisees about recipes and how to prepare new menu items.

Starting this fall, Dairy Queen will buy advertising year-round for the first time. Currently, about 55 percent of Dairy Queen sales come from treats, with the remaining 45 percent from fast food.

Unlike most franchised restaurant chains, Dairy Queen offerings vary from place to place. Thanks to franchise agreements reached years ago, some DQ's offer a menu filled with unique options. For example, the Dairy Queen in Moorhead is a throwback to the early days of DQ, featuring items not available at modern “Grill and Chill” outlets. Popular mainstays include the “Monkey Tail,” a chocolate-covered frozen banana, and "Mr. Malties," chocolate malt on a stick that was a DQ mainstay in the ’50s.

The additions to the DQ Bakes menu are made-to-order Hot Desserts à la Mode, Artisan-style Sandwiches and Snack Melts. The desserts are Triple Chocolate Brownie, Apple Tart and Fudge Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie; Artisan-style sandwiches are Chicken Bacon Ranch, Chicken Mozzarella and Turkey BLT; and snack melts are Buffalo Chicken, Chicken Bacon BBQ and Chicken Quesadilla.

With 249 outlets, Minnesota is tied with Ohio for the third largest number of Dairy Queen stores. Only Texas, with 578, and Illinois, with 262 stores, have more DQs.

Next Up

Screen Shot 2022-05-20 at 6.49.01 AM

Deadly night in St. Paul sees 3 people killed, 1 arrest so far

The three incidents bring St. Paul's homicide total up to 18 this year.

police lights

2 killed in broad daylight drive-by shooting in Robbinsdale

The identities of the victims have not been released.

Seatbelted driver.

Road deaths involving unbelted people rose again in 2021

This is the second year in a row that the number has gone up.

hennepin sheriff hutchinson screengrab facebook

Hennepin Co. Sheriff Dave Hutchinson on paid leave for health reasons

The sheriff, who was recently convicted of drunk-driving, is set to stand down later this year.

Crane Lake

Flooding expected to worsen in MN's Arrowhead region

Hundreds of private homes are at-risk in northern St. Louis County.

St. Paul Police crash

St. Paul police: Kids in stolen car rammed squad, hid in porta-potty

The incident sent the Minnesota Capitol into a brief lockdown.

IMG_7030

Watch: Storm updates after heavy hail slams Twin Cities

Sven Sundgaard is providing an update after Thursday's flash hail storm.

kim crockett facebook sos

MN GOP apologizes over antisemitic sequence in candidate's campaign video

Party leader says candidate didn't know the imagery perpetuated an antisemitic trope.

storm, severe

Tornado, severe thunderstorm watches issued in Minnesota

In addition to possible tornadoes, there is a threat for damaging winds and very large hail.

House sale keys door

High prices, stiff competition putting off homebuyers in Twin Cities

Prices continue to rise in the metro, but there are signs of buyer fatigue.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 1.59.51 PM

Series of explosions at manufacturing plant injures 6 in Wisconsin

The blast rocked the Wisconsin town just before 7:45 a.m.

police lights squad car dark - Unsplash

Medford man dies in Le Sueur County crash

The 49-year-old was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.

Related