Dayton officially appeals FEMA's denial of individual flood assistance - Bring Me The News

Dayton officially appeals FEMA's denial of individual flood assistance

Gov. Mark Dayton sent a letter to the Federal Emergency Management Agency Wednesday appealing the government's decision to deny financial assistance to individuals in the wake of the northeastern Minnesota floods in June. Dayton wrote in the letter to FEMA that the rain and floods in the area caused "one of the worst natural disasters in Minnesota’s history."
Author:
Publish date:

Gov. Mark Dayton sent a letter to the Federal Emergency Management Agency Wednesday appealing the government's decision to deny financial assistance to individuals in the wake of the northeastern Minnesota floods in June. Dayton wrote in the letter to FEMA that the rain and floods in the area caused "one of the worst natural disasters in Minnesota’s history."

Next Up

Related

FEMA says no to Dayton's appeal for individual flood assistance

The Federal Emergency Management Agency denied an appeal Friday from Gov. Mark Dayton for aid for individuals and businesses affected by floods in northeastern Minnesota in June. Dayton said he was "disappointed" by FEMA's ruling and that he'll ask the state legislature for an estimated $7.4 million in assistance in an upcoming special session.

Dayton will appeal FEMA decision rejecting individual flood aid

Governor Dayton ordered state officials to begin preparing an appeal after learning that FEMA has denied federal aid to individual victims of last month's flooding. The agency is providing money for 13 counties to rebuild roads and make other repairs. But money for individual homeowners and businesses was denied.

Dayton looking into possible rift within FEMA over individual aid

Gov. Mark Dayton says he's heard that FEMA's regional office determined Minnesotans did qualify for individual flood aid, but was overruled by Washington, likely for budgetary reasons. Dayton says he wants to find out more. The state is appealing this week's decision denying assistance payments to individual homeowners and businesses hit by last month's floods.

Feds reject individual flooding aid in NE Minn.

A request for federal individual assistance for Northeastern Minnesota has been denied. W. Craig Engate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told Gov. Mark Dayton in a letter that damage to dwellings from the flooding that began June 19 “was not of such severity and magnitude as to warrant the implementation of individual assistance.” The state has 30 days to appeal the decision. Gov. Mark Dayton "is very disappointed."

Dayton plans visit to Moose Lake, other flooded NE Minnesota cities

Following his trip to flood-ravaged Duluth, Gov. Mark Dayton says he will survey damage in other cities hit by floods in northeastern Minnesota, including Moose Lake and Carlton. He was going to visit as soon as Saturday, but was asked to hold off because of continuing clean-up efforts in the area.

Dayton to request $108M in disaster aid for NE Minnesota floods

Gov. Mark Dayton announced in Duluth Friday that he will ask President Barack Obama for a $108 million disaster declaration stemming from last week's floods in northeastern Minnesota. The money will be used to repair damages sustained by public infrastructure in the 13 counties and three tribal areas affected by the flooding.

Franken tours flood damaged cities in NE Minnesota

U.S. Sen. Al Franken had a busy Saturday visiting several areas damaged in recent flooding in northeastern Minnesota. Franken -- who co-sponsored the state's $108 million disaster declaration with Gov. Mark Dayton and U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar -- made stops in Duluth's Fond du Lac neighborhood, Barnum, Moose Lake and Willow River.