1. A decision on whether to charge Minneapolis police officer Mohamed Noor in the shooting death of Justine Damond won't be coming this year.
2. Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman announced Thursday afternoon his office is still gathering information, and that "additional investigation must be completed." Because of that, a determination on whether Noor will face criminal charges won't come until 2018.
3. "As I have mentioned before, the investigation and review of the case will not be rushed. It is more important to get it right than to get it done quickly," Freeman said, adding there's no timetable for when that point will come.
What Else You Should Know
Freeman's office received the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension's investigation into Damond's July 15 killing back in mid-September. At the time, Freeman said his goal was to have a decision on potential charges made before the end of 2017.
Comments Freeman made earlier this month in a covertly recorded video suggested that may not happen.
"I've gotta have the evidence. And I don't have it yet," Freeman can be heard saying in the Dec. 13 recording, which was shot by activists. "And let me just say, it's not my fault. ... It's on the [Bureau of Criminal Apprehension]. They don't work for me. They haven't done their job."
Damond's family, back in her birth country of Australia, expressed concern about Freeman's remarks, The Guardian reported. Her father John Ruszczyk said he's "deeply concerned about the possibility that the initial investigation was not done properly and with greatest integrity and sense of completeness”.
Freeman later apologized for his comments about the investigators, and promised a public update on the case after Christmas.
And the update, it turns out, is that the attorney's office won't hit its goal of reaching a decision by the end of the year.