The driver who caused a crash when a foam pad fell off the back of a towed boat on Interstate 94 has come forward.
A dashcam video showing the moment a motorcyclist crashed into the pad went viral earlier this week after it was shared on Facebook and YouTube by Linda Leverty.
The Minnesota State Patrol told BringMeTheNews on Tuesday that the driver towing the boat on I-94 near Woodbury on June 18 had not been located.
However, on Wednesday the State Patrol announced a 35-year-old man from Menomonie, Wisconsin, got in contact with them after the video became widespread and he realized he had caused the crash.
He is currently cooperating with the State Patrol and the investigation continues.
The motorcycle rider managed to escape the crash with only minor injuries.
The State Patrol is reminding drivers carrying cargo to make sure it is properly secured, as it can be deadly to following drivers – particularly motorcyclists – if anything falls off.
- Avoid using twine, rope, or other cheap products to secure your load.
- Ratchet straps are recommended to secure your load.
- If towing a boat, cover the boat so objects don’t fly out and become projectiles.
- When towing a trailer make sure the safety chains are secure.
- If transporting objects in an open trailer, cover with a tarp or ensure the objects are tied down securely.