Skip to main content
Updated:
Original:

Duluth TV news director resigns over Facebook flap

The news director for Duluth television station Fox 21 resigned from the position Monday after some said he had made a racist Facebook post last week. Fox 21 general manager Jackie Bruenjes issued a statement Monday night saying she accepted Jason Vincent’s resignation.
Author:

The news director for Duluth television station KQDS Fox 21 resigned from the position Monday after objections to what was called a racist Facebook post he made last week, the Duluth News Tribune reports. Fox 21 general manager Jackie Bruenjes issued a statement Monday night saying she accepted Jason Vincent’s resignation.

Vincent had made a comment on Facebook last week about a stranger in his yard: “Add drunk, homeless, Native American man to the list of animals that have wandered into my yard.”

Vincent apologized on Facebook, and the station briefly posted an apology. Vincent said he did not consciously mean to equate the man with an animal.

Bruenjes, the station's general manager, said this in the statement: "[Monday] KQDS FOX 21 TV accepted the resignation of Jason Vincent, News Director. Jason has elected to take a new job assignment. We wish Jason the best."

It was not immediately clear if Vincent had left the company, Red River Broadcast Co., or just taken a different position.

Next Up

Gopher Basketball

Michigan State hands Gophers first loss

The 19th ranked Spartans knocked Minnesota from the ranks of the unbeaten.

Karl-Anthony Towns, Chris Finch

Patrick Beverley returns but Jazz rout Timberwolves

The Jazz avenged last season's 0-3 record with a blowout victory.

Eric Kendricks

Vikings-Steelers: 5 things you can count on

After an embarrassing loss to the Lions, can the Vikings get it together?

snow, snowing

Winter storm watch expands north, includes parts of Twin Cities

Everyone in southern Minnesota will want to keep an eye on forecast changes.

Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 6.45.53 PM

5-year-old boy fatally shot on Thanksgiving identified

Police said a few juveniles at the home were making a social media video when the gun went off.

PAMP travail 1

Pig Ate My Pizza will close at the end of the year.

Its leaders plan to relaunch and "get back to the humble beginnings of Travail."

flickr - criticla care nurses nov 2021

Allina parts ways with 53 of 27,000 employees over vaccine mandate

That's about 0.2% of the health care system's workforce.

US Bank Stadium, Vikings fans

Matthew Coller: How will Vikings fans react on Thursday night?

Will years of disappointment be revealed if the Vikings struggle against the Steelers?

dinner party holidays gathering celebration 1

Health officials encourage getting vaccinated and tested before the holidays

The state has launched a "Celebrate Safely, Minnesota" campaign to make it easier to get tested and vaccinated.

Kjellberg booking photo crop

Charges: Parking dispute, scuffle preceded fatal stabbing

The suspect said he was upset about neighbors and their friends regularly parking on his property.

Dave Hutchinson

Hennepin Co. Sheriff injured in rollover, admits to drinking beforehand

The sheriff, in a statement, called it an "inexcusable decision."

CDC - vaccine band aid

COVID cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in MN dominated by unvaccinated

The latest figures from October show a disproportionate number of deaths among the unvaccinated.

Related

Former Duluth news director speaks out after Facebook post, lands new job

Former KQDS Fox 21 News Director Jason Vincent verbally apologized on Friday for a controversial post on his personal Facebook page earlier this month during his first public interview on WGZS-FM, the Fond du Lac Band’s radio station. Vincent's resignation with the Duluth television station took effect on Friday, but he tells the Duluth News Tribune he was not fired. “I’m moving to (Cedar Rapids) Iowa, KGAN-TV. I’ll be a morning anchor down there," he said.

Duluth TV news director apologizes for controversial Facebook comment

Duluth television news director Jason Vincent has apologized for his controversial Facebook post about a Native American man last week. KQDS Fox 21 TV added in the statement Saturday that they "do not condone this behavior." Vincent caused an uproar when he posted, "Add drunk, homeless, Native American man to the list of animals that have wandered into my yard."

TV news director draws heat for Facebook comment

A news director for Duluth's Fox 21 posted a comment on Facebook about a “drunk, homeless, Native American” who wandered into his yard and it caused a stir on social media websites. Two city of Duluth commissions requested an on-air apology.

Man kicks in door after Facebook flap

A Moorhead man is accused of kicking in a door because he was upset that his ex-girlfriend deleted him from Facebook and he was no longer able to view pictures of their daughter.

Wisconsin teen allegedly attacked over Facebook posts

The Pioneer Press reports a pregnant 17-year-old girl was attacked after allegedly making comments about Facebook entries. A 21-year-old woman and 26-year-old woman, both from Arcadia, are being charged with misdemeanors. A teen is also charged for carrying a concealed weapon.

Read the news and win a TV!

Better hurry! We're giving away three large-screen TVs like the one above during the Minnesota State Fair, which has its final day Monday. Interested? Click in to find out how you can get your name in the drawing up to four times!