Skip to main content

Energy company decides it doesn't need a new MN pipeline, after all

  • Author:
  • Updated:
    Original:

After years of planning, delays, and demonstrations, the Sandpiper oil pipeline has flown away.

Enbridge Energy announced Thursday that it is withdrawing its application to build a $2.6 billion line to carry crude oil from North Dakota across northern Minnesota to Superior, Wisconsin.

The 616-mile project, which Enbridge called Sandpiper, has been opposed by environmental groups and tribes who say it would threaten the lakes and rivers of northern Minnesota including the Mississippi River's headwaters.

In some ways Thursday's announcement was the other shoe dropping after Enbridge decided last month to buy a stake in a different pipeline project to carry oil from North Dakota's Bakken region to a tank farm in Illinois.

Less oil coming from North Dakota

The Sandpiper project has been in the regulatory process in Minnesota for more than two years. During that time crude oil prices have slumped and production from Bakken has declined, Bloomberg notes.

In their statement on Thursday Enbridge said Sandpiper is not included in the company's five year "planning horizon."

Instead, Enbridge and a partner company, Marathon Petroleum, bought a $1.5 billion stake in the Bakken Pipeline System in August. That system includes a new line, the Dakota Access Pipeline, passing from North Dakota through South Dakota and Iowa to Illinois.

That pipeline is under construction and the Star Tribune says it's expected to be finished by the end of this year, whereas construction of Sandpiper was unlikely to begin before 2019.

The Dakota Access Pipeline has also been the subject of protests, particularly from the Standing Rock Sioux tribe of North Dakota which sees the line as a threat to its water supply and says the construction is disrupting historically significant land near its reservation.

Enbridge Energy Partners President Mark Maki said in a conference call Thursday that the Dakota Access Pipeline remains on schedule, the Star Tribune reports.

Next Up

Ellie Ragin

Police obtain 'valuable information' in search for missing 6-year-old Elle Ragin

The 6-year-old is still missing following the death of her mother by suicide.

ambulance

Fatal crash involving 18-year-old in western Minnesota

The 18-year-old was not wearing a seatbelt, the State Patrol said.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 7.11.05 AM

2 women stabbed during parking lot brawl in St. Cloud

Police are searching for another woman in connection with the attack.

Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 10.02.43 AM

One killed in St. Paul house fire

Two firefighters were injured as they battled the blaze.

fireworks-gad76f1de1_1280

Minneapolis: Stop calling 911 for fireworks noise complaints

The city wants people to submit complaints online instead.

American flag at half-staff/half mast.

What's open and closed in Minnesota on the Fourth of July

Grocery stores are open, though some have limited hours.

ambulance

18-year-old killed by exploding firework in Brooklyn Park

Police arrived at the scene to see the victim's friend performing CPR.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 9.31.25 PM

Boy found in Brooklyn Park is reunited with parents

The boy was found shortly before 6 p.m. Sunday.

police tape, crime scene

1 dead, 1 arrested after shooting involving teens in Duluth

A 17-year-old was arrested around 1:45 a.m. Sunday. Neither the victim nor the suspect has been identified.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 1.03.19 PM

NASCAR driver joins MN boy in reclaiming 'Let's go Brandon' slogan

Brandon Brundidge gained recognition when his mother shared the story of how he found inspiration in "Let's go Brandon" signs.

Screen Shot 2022-07-03 at 10.20.27 AM

White supremacist propaganda flyers distributed in Cottage Grove

The department said the flyers have been left in driveways throughout the city.

Related