Explosion that could be heard for miles destroys Bemidji-area home

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A house was completely flattened in an explosion which authorities think was caused by a gas leak.

Fire and police officers were called to the scene of an explosion in Grant Valley Township, near Bemidji, shortly before 6 p.m. Monday night.

One person was pulled from the debris and has been taken to Sanford Hospital, with no word on the extent of their injuries.

According to a release from the Bemidji Fire Department, investigators believe the explosion may be related to a propane gas leak in the property, and released a photo of the debris-strewn scene.

The Bemidji Pioneer reports that the explosion was "heard for miles" and multiple calls were made to the emergency services as smoke was seen coming from the residence on Buchanan Avenue SW in the aftermath.

The newspaper says the force of the explosion was such that it caused windows to rattle and pictures to be dislodged from the walls of nearby properties.

Next Up

Related