Family: Minnesota Somali man left to join al-Shabab

Another young Somali man in Minnesota has gone to Somalia to join al-Shabab, his family says, renewing fears that the terror group is still recruiting Somalis living in the U.S. to return to their homeland to fight, the Associated Press reports.
Author:
Publish date:

Another young Somali man in Minnesota has gone to Somalia to join al-Shabab, his family says, renewing fears that the terror group is still recruiting Somalis living in the U.S. to return to their homeland to fight, the Associated Press reported Friday.

Abdirizak Bihi (pictured above), a member of the Minneapolis Somali community, spoke to the AP after talking with the family of 21-year-old Omar Farah of Minneapolis.

It was a striking new development in the story of the connection between Minnesota and the terror group, which has been evolving for years. Still, there have been no public reports of travelers from Minnesota since 2009, the AP says.

In one older case, Mahamud Said Omar, 46, a former custodian at a Minneapolis mosque, is preparing for trial in federal court to begin Oct. 1 on charges of conspiracy and providing material support to al-Shabaab, the Pioneer Press reported. The group is waging an ever-diminishing campaign of violence for control of Omar's native Somalia, the newspaper reports.

MPR produced an interactive timeline that tells the story of young Somali men trekking back to Somalia to fight.

And it's not only men. Two Minnesota women who claimed they were helping the poor in Somalia were convicted last fall of conspiring to funnel money to a terrorist group as part of a pipeline that took money and fighters to al-Shabab, the Associated Press reported.

You can follow more news about al-Shabab on CNN's topic page.

Next Up

Related

Witness in al-Shabab trial: Minnesotans in Somalia were 'scared to death'

At least a few of the more than 20 young men who left Minnesota to join a group linked to al-Qaida in Somalia were scared to leave under threats of death, it was revealed as part of an ongoing trial of Mahamud Said Omar, the first of the men to be put on trial. He's accused of sending money and Minnesota recruits to the terrorist group al-Shabab. The trial Tuesday enters its second week.

Somali youth group in Minneapolis wins award from FBI

Less than a week ago a high-profile federal trial ended with the conviction of a Minneapolis man for recruiting Twin Cities youth to fight with the Somali terrorist group al-Shabab. Now a Minneapolis youth group founded to prevent the radicalization of young Somali men is gaining recognition ... from the FBI.

Judge orders defendant in Somali terror case back to jail

Omer Abdi Mohamed, 27, of Minneapolis, is alleged to have been a key part of an effort to recruit locals to return to Somalia to fight for the terrorist group al-Shabaab, although friends say he has done nothing wrong – and that in fact, he is a role model for young people. But a judge on Wednesday said he needs to be put back in jail, the Pioneer Press reports. He had been free awaiting sentencing after he pleaded guilty last year to a terrorism-related charge.

Somalis protest by closing bank accounts

A group of Twin Cities Somalis are frustrated with banks no longer willing to transfer money to Somalia. In response, Somali-American customers are removing their money and closing bank accounts. They want banks to restore the wire service to Africa. Banks fear the money transfers could violate anti-terror regulations.