An 84-year-old Maplewood man admitted in court Thursday to shooting his adult son in the chest this past spring, KSTP reports.
Pang Se Vang pleaded guilty to second-degree murder for the fatal shooting of 36-year-old Chue Vang and will be sentenced in October, KSTP says.
At the time of the March 24 shooting, Pang Se Vang was living in a house with his son, who owned the residence.
According to the criminal complaint filed at the time of the incident, Chue Vang reportedly would not install cable in the Maplewood house. Pang Se Vang then got upset, and Chue Vang responded by telling his father to move out if he was unhappy.
Pang Se Vang reportedly admitted to police he grabbed his hunting shotgun and shot Chue Vang, the complaint said.
Through an interpreter, Pang Se Vang told the courtroom Thursday his wife had asked for a divorce three days before the shooting, the Pioneer Press reports.
Chue Vang's mother, brother and child were in the house at the time of the shooting; Pang Se Vang released all three when officers arrived and a two-hour standoff followed. Police had been called a bit before noon and were told there had been a shooting, with the suspect still in the house.
SWAT team members swarmed the area around the house, because police were wary of reports that there were weapons inside the home. Police attempted to contact the father by telephone and also through a public address system, using a Hmong-speaking Maplewood officer as an intermediary.
Officers and SWAT members entered the home and found Pang Se Vang with self-inflicted stab wounds to the chest and neck, according to a Maplewood Police news release.
Chue Vang was found dead in the home.
In Minnesota, a second-degree murder conviction carries a sentence of up to 40 years in prison.
The Pioneer Press says Pang Se Vang is the oldest person to be charged with murder in Minnesota since the state began keeping records in the 1970s.