Father who sparked Amber Alert charged with attempted murder of sons

Author:
Updated:
Original:

A father whose alleged abduction of his two young sons sparked an Amber Alert earlier this week has been charged with attempted murder.

The alert was issued around 4:30 a.m. Thursday after two boys from Lakeville, aged 2 and 4, were taken by their father who was reported to have been suicidal.

WCCO reports that 27-year-old Jay Ernst was charged on Friday with two counts of first-degree attempted murder, with the criminal complaint saying they were found in a closed garage with the engine of his Ford running.

In his initial comments to police, Ernst is said to have engineered the scenario as a "cry for help" to address his addiction issues, and said he was not trying to harm himself or his children.

https://twitter.com/joelcam4/status/659685605979262976?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Lt. Bill Geri, of Lakeville police, told KARE 11 that Ernst was discovered in the garage by his mother, after he failed to return to her house after telling her "he was going out to listen to some music in a vehicle."

Before police could arrive, Ernst fled the home in Lakeville with his children, but it was located a short time after the alert was raised near the intersection of Interstate 35E and County Road 42 in Burnsville, the TV station notes.

KSTP reports that Ernst and his wife are separated but the father has full custody of the children. He is reported to have mentioned contemplating suicide to family members in the days before it happened, with his mother telling police he was at "breaking point" because of his marital and addiction issues.

Both of the children have been examined by doctors since the ordeal, and are said to be in good health, KSTP says.

Next Up

51116674647_a9a72eac98_k

Curfew set at 11 p.m. in Brooklyn Center, Champlin Saturday

More protests are expected in Brooklyn Center.

Image from iOS (1)

Victim killed in multi-vehicle crash that closed Hwy. 62 ID'd as woman, 23

The four-vehicle crash closed the eastbound highway for several hours.

protest, Daunte Wright, Brooklyn Center

Photographer reports being maced and punched by police, other journalists detained

It came just hours after a court order prevented law enforcement from using force against the news media.

51119874206_73072b910b_k

Police move in swiftly to make arrests on 6th night of Daunte Wright protests

What started out peaceful took a turn as the night drew in.

Michelle missing outing

Man pleads guilty in 2019 murder of Outing woman

Joshua Emil Karjala's sentencing is set for June.

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 7.25.01 AM

Sven Sundgaard is suing former employer KARE 11

The meteorologist, who now works with Bring Me The News, was fired in May 2020.

Related