Authorities say the fire that forced the H&M clothing store at Southdale mall in Edina to close Friday looks suspicious.
Nobody was injured and the small fire was contained, according to KSTP.
According to the Associated Press, city spokeswoman Kaylin Eidsness says the fire looks suspicious and the investigation is ongoing.
The fire was reported to the Edina Fire Department around 10:30 a.m. Friday. The AP says a piece of clothing caught fire, but sprinklers helped to keep the fire contained and it was out by the time firefighters arrived.
KSTP notes that both the first and second floors of the store have smoke and water damage and the store remains closed as crews work to clean it up.
Southdale was the nation’s first indoor regional shopping mall. It opened in 1956 and now includes more than 120 specialty stores.
If you want a good history of the mall, and the man who dreamed it up – Victor Gruen, a refugee from Nazi-occupied Austria – check out this recent story by The Guardian.