Firefighters battle Hibbing blaze in frigid temps

Author:
Updated:
Original:

Firefighters from several departments battled a downtown Hibbing apartment fire that left 15 people displaced in bitter cold temperatures Thursday morning.

The blaze in the two-story brick building began around 10 a.m. when temperatures had only reached -17 degrees.

All residents inside made it out of the building, but two were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation.

Both Sportsmen’s Restaurant and Tavern, which is located below the apartment units, and Zimmy's Restaurant next door were evacuated. Some staff members stayed warm in their cars to avoid frostbite.

The Red Cross is assisting residents that need assistance with housing.

Next Up

Related

Dog saved from blaze, revived by firefighters

Specialized training helped save a family pet trapped in a fire at a Richfield home Sunday afternoon, KARE 11 reports. Two small dogs were inside and one perished. But the other dog was revived by firefighters using procedures known as Basic Animal Rescue Training, or BART.