Two Minnesotans became ill with salmonellosis that's since been linked to frozen raw tuna, the Minnesota Department of Health said Tuesday.
Both are in their 30s and from the metro area, according to the release. They became ill on June 21 and June 30, after eating spicy tuna rolls bought at a grocery store and a workplace cafeteria.
Neither were hospitalized.
The outbreak strain of the salmonella bacteria was found in sealed bags of frozen raw tuna, which came from the lot used to make the spicy tuna rolls eaten in one of those cases.
The cases are part of a national outbreak, which the Centers for Disease Control says has infected at least 53 people across nine states (as of June 9). Ten people were hospitalized, and no deaths have been reported.
The tuna product in question is packaged in frozen, vacuum-sealed bags without a brand or other name, the Minnesota Department of Health says.
It can be identified from labels on the tuna bags and with product information on the enclosing box. It bears the lot number 68568 and the country of origin is listed as Indonesia.
The tuna was distributed by Osamu Corporation, based in Gardena, California, and the department suggests grocery stores and retailers check their raw tuna supply for those cases.
Retail stores should not sell, and consumers should not eat, tuna from this lot, the Department of Health says. It should be thrown out.
Consumers who are worried they may have purchased sushi made with this tuna should contact the place they purchased it.
Officials in Minnesota and nationally are investigating.
Symptoms of salmonellosis usually come on 12-72 hours after being exposed, and include diarrhea, abdominal pain, cramps and fever.
They usually peter out in five to seven days, but about 28 percent of lab-confirmed cases require hospitalization, the health department says.
In rare cases it can lead to death, particularly in the elderly or those with weakened immune systems.
Click here for more information about the infection.
Approximately 700 cases of salmonellosis are reported each year in Minnesota.