Flood of trash replaces flood waters in NE Minnesota

Now that the waters have abated in northeastern Minnesota following last week's storms, area residents are dealing with a flood of trash. The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District's Materials Recovery Center in Duluth is one of the destinations for the trash, which is coming in from a 530 square mile area covering St. Louis and Carlton counties.
Author:
Publish date:

Now that the waters have abated in northeastern Minnesota following last week's storms, area residents are dealing with a flood of trash. The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District's Materials Recovery Center in Duluth is one of the destinations for the trash, which is coming in from a 530 square mile area covering St. Louis and Carlton counties.

Next Up

Related

Dayton to request $108M in disaster aid for NE Minnesota floods

Gov. Mark Dayton announced in Duluth Friday that he will ask President Barack Obama for a $108 million disaster declaration stemming from last week's floods in northeastern Minnesota. The money will be used to repair damages sustained by public infrastructure in the 13 counties and three tribal areas affected by the flooding.

Dayton plans visit to Moose Lake, other flooded NE Minnesota cities

Following his trip to flood-ravaged Duluth, Gov. Mark Dayton says he will survey damage in other cities hit by floods in northeastern Minnesota, including Moose Lake and Carlton. He was going to visit as soon as Saturday, but was asked to hold off because of continuing clean-up efforts in the area.

Franken tours flood damaged cities in NE Minnesota

U.S. Sen. Al Franken had a busy Saturday visiting several areas damaged in recent flooding in northeastern Minnesota. Franken -- who co-sponsored the state's $108 million disaster declaration with Gov. Mark Dayton and U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar -- made stops in Duluth's Fond du Lac neighborhood, Barnum, Moose Lake and Willow River.

Feds approve disaster aid for NE Minnesota flood damage

The disaster declaration for 13 Minnesota counties and three tribal nations devastated by flooding in northeastern Minnesota last month was approved Friday by the federal government. The $108 million in aid only covers damage to public infrastructure.

SBA approves Dayton's request for NE Minnesota disaster declaration

Gov. Mark Dayton's request for a disaster declaration in Carlton, Pine and St. Louis counties, as well as the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, following June's floods, was granted Friday by the Small Business Administration. With the approval, affected homeowners, renters, businesses and not-for-profit organizations can apply for low-interest loans up to $200,000.

FEMA flood damage assessments in NE Minn. not done yet

The Federal Emergency Management Agency says it will continue assessing damage to private property stemming from the floods in northeast Minnesota last month, and will be here for as long needed. State and federal officials have been in Carlton, St. Louis, Aitkin and Pine counties, as well as on the Fond du Lac Reservation, looking at the damage.

Concerns raised after communications outage during NE Minn. floods

A CenturyLink fiber-optic line break during last month's flooding that resulted in the loss of 911 emergency, landline, cell phone and Internet services has residents in the region concerned and frustrated. The Lake County News Chronicle reports that much of the county and the North Shore went without communications service for 13 hours after the break.

Flood water recedes, problems persist in NE Minn.

Floodwaters are receding in most areas of northeast Minnesota, but it will be several more days before the area is safe to travel. Many flood victims have started to turn their attention to cleaning up and surveying the damage -- which is expected to exceed $100 million in Duluth alone. Residents in the Fon du Lac neighborhood were among those allowed to return Saturday.