Flood water recedes, problems persist in NE Minn.

Floodwaters are receding in most areas of northeast Minnesota, but it will be several more days before the area is safe to travel. Many flood victims have started to turn their attention to cleaning up and surveying the damage -- which is expected to exceed $100 million in Duluth alone. Residents in the Fon du Lac neighborhood were among those allowed to return Saturday.
Author:
Updated:
Original:

Floodwaters are receding in most areas of northeast Minnesota, but it will be several more days before the area is safe to travel. Many flood victims have started to turn their attention to cleaning up and surveying the damage -- which is expected to exceed $100 million in Duluth alone.

Residents in the Fon du Lac neighborhood were among those allowed to return Saturday. KARE 11 notes roughly 20 of the 80 homes in the community are still surrounded by the swollen St. Louis River. Officials say it could be several more days until the water completely recedes and the area is safe to travel.

Hundreds of volunteers spent their Saturday shoveling dirt, clearing large trees, and brushing off debris and dirt that was swept onto the Lake Superior Zoo grounds, WDIO reports.

Moose Lake residents were told flood waters are dropping, but the area has a long way to go, according to the Northland's NewsCenter.

The Duluth News Tribune also has a list of highways that remain closed.

FEMA crews will be in northeast Minnesota Tuesday to assess the damage.

State officials are also urging flood victims to do their homework before hiring contractors.

Next Up

Related

Franken tours flood damaged cities in NE Minnesota

U.S. Sen. Al Franken had a busy Saturday visiting several areas damaged in recent flooding in northeastern Minnesota. Franken -- who co-sponsored the state's $108 million disaster declaration with Gov. Mark Dayton and U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar -- made stops in Duluth's Fond du Lac neighborhood, Barnum, Moose Lake and Willow River.

Dayton plans visit to Moose Lake, other flooded NE Minnesota cities

Following his trip to flood-ravaged Duluth, Gov. Mark Dayton says he will survey damage in other cities hit by floods in northeastern Minnesota, including Moose Lake and Carlton. He was going to visit as soon as Saturday, but was asked to hold off because of continuing clean-up efforts in the area.

Flood of trash replaces flood waters in NE Minnesota

Now that the waters have abated in northeastern Minnesota following last week's storms, area residents are dealing with a flood of trash. The Western Lake Superior Sanitary District's Materials Recovery Center in Duluth is one of the destinations for the trash, which is coming in from a 530 square mile area covering St. Louis and Carlton counties.

FEMA flood damage assessments in NE Minn. not done yet

The Federal Emergency Management Agency says it will continue assessing damage to private property stemming from the floods in northeast Minnesota last month, and will be here for as long needed. State and federal officials have been in Carlton, St. Louis, Aitkin and Pine counties, as well as on the Fond du Lac Reservation, looking at the damage.

Feds reject individual flooding aid in NE Minn.

A request for federal individual assistance for Northeastern Minnesota has been denied. W. Craig Engate, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, told Gov. Mark Dayton in a letter that damage to dwellings from the flooding that began June 19 “was not of such severity and magnitude as to warrant the implementation of individual assistance.” The state has 30 days to appeal the decision. Gov. Mark Dayton "is very disappointed."

After flooding, small towns suffer

The city of Duluth grabbed headlines following flooding that surged across northeast Minnesota nearly three weeks ago. But several small towns just to the southwest suffered some of the most extensive damage and are struggling to rebuild.

Dayton to request $108M in disaster aid for NE Minnesota floods

Gov. Mark Dayton announced in Duluth Friday that he will ask President Barack Obama for a $108 million disaster declaration stemming from last week's floods in northeastern Minnesota. The money will be used to repair damages sustained by public infrastructure in the 13 counties and three tribal areas affected by the flooding.