Fourth person charged with murder in death of Minnetonka high schooler - Bring Me The News

Fourth person charged with murder in death of Minnetonka high schooler

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0
Image placeholder title

A fourth person has been charged in connection to the fatal shooting of 16-year-old Minnetonka High School student Samantha Burnette.

Vincent Harris, 29, of St. Paul, was charged Wednesday with two counts of second-degree murder and first-degree aggravated robbery.

The other suspects in the shooting and robbery over the weekend – Christopher Calloway, 32 years old, Kalisa Smith, 29, and Davonte Bobo, 24 – were charged Tuesday with second-degree murder and aggravated robbery in connection with Burnette's death.

According to the criminal complaint:

Burnette had been in a car with Smith and a third person (Burnette’s sister, Brittany Rock), late Saturday, driving around, drinking and talking, when they picked up a fourth person referred to as DB.

At one point Smith – who was in the passenger seat – told them she needed to meet someone at the alley on Sims Avenue and got out of the car, saying she’d be right back.

She returned to the vehicle with two or three men, identified as Calloway, Bobo and Harris. Smith told police Calloway got into the front passenger's seat of the vehicle, pulled out a gun and demanded items.

Rock said she didn't have anything, but he snatched her phone and pistol-whipped her in the head. Rock then got out of the car and ran away.

Burnette then woke up (she was asleep in the back seat) and she hit Calloway with a bottle. He then fired at the teenager, hitting her. The medical examiner said Burnette died of gunshot wounds to the lungs and heart.

Smith told police she knew Calloway – her sometimes boyfriend – wanted to rob the people in the vehicle, adding he offered to give her some of the money he stole, but she said she didn't think he was going to shoot anyone.

She also said she didn't think Bobo (who also had a gun) and Harris were going to help Calloway, and she said she doesn't think Calloway was the only one who fired a weapon during the incident because she heard two or three shots.

Harris spoke to police, saying he knew Calloway was going to rob the victims, but he denied wanting anything to do with it. He also told police that Bobo said he accidentally fired his gun – something Bobo also told police.

Harris, who has previous assault-related convictions, is expected to make his first court appearance Wednesday afternoon.

If convicted, he could face up to 40 years in prison for each second-degree murder charge, as well as up to 20 years in prison for the robbery charge.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help Burnette's family pay for her funeral.

Related

Next Up