Grill used to heat home; 13 treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0

Five children and eight adults – including a responding police officer – were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning after they were rescued from a Wisconsin home where a charcoal grill was being used indoors, Trempealeau County Sheriff's Department officials said.

The department had gotten a call about an unknown medical issue late Sunday afternoon at the house near Arcadia in western Wisconsin, about 20 miles from Winona, Minnesota.

Investigators later said a grill in the kitchen area was being used to help heat the house, although the incident remains under investigation, WQOW reports.

Emergency responders arrived to find some of the home's 12 occupants unconscious, but they rescued everyone from the house and rushed them to a nearby hospital, WEAU reports.

A police officer who was helping to evacuate the home was treated and released for carbon monoxide poisoning, the Pioneer Press reports. The incident triggered a heavy emergency response – three helicopters and five ambulances arrived at the scene.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas often formed in the process of burning, and carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal because it interferes with oxygen intake. The Minnesota Department of Health has more information and tips about how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in the home.

Related

Next Up