A new video urges survivors of clergy sexual abuse to file a claim against the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis before an upcoming deadline – and its creators want the church to play it at Mass.
In the video (which you can watch below), three clergy sexual abuse survivors urge all other victims to come forward and file a claim before Aug. 3. That's the court-imposed deadline set earlier this year, as part of the archdiocese's bankruptcy proceedings.
In the agreement, the archdiocese was required to publicize the deadline (which had previously been May of 2016) through a number of channels – national and local newspapers, TV stations and other outlets; church publications; and on its own website.
On its homepage, the archdiocese has at least two images mentioning the deadline.
But the creditors' committee – which is essentially a group that monitors the church's actions as it goes through bankruptcy – says that's not enough.
According to the Jeff Andeson & Associates law firm, the committee is asking the federal bankruptcy court to require the archdiocese play the newly produced video in all 216 of its parishes as a way to further publicize the deadline.
The three survivors who appear in the video are also part of the creditors' committee. They discuss their experience dealing with the emotional fallout of the abuse, and "the feelings of hope and relief" that came with opening up about their abuse later, the video's description says.
In the motion, the committee requests the video be played in connection with each Mass service the weekend of July 11-12. It also wants the video posted on the archdiocese website.
The motion argues it "will greatly enhance existing notice procedures."
In a statement, a lawyer for the archdiocese said they've received the motion and are discussing it with those involved, but it would be "premature" to comment before those are completed, KSTP reports.