We get a lot of entertainment every year. So what was the best of 2016?
We went and found the five (or so) highest-rated TV shows, movies, albums and video games of 2016 based on Metacritic scores – yes, it's not a perfect way to gauge how "good" or "bad" a movie was. But it's the closest thing we've got to a consensus average. So here goes:
(Note: We didn't include summaries here to avoid spoilers for long-running shows.)
- Rectify(S4) – A man is released from prison after serving 19 years for a rape and murder.
- O.J.: Made in America– An ABC/ESPN documentary on the O.J. Simpson saga.
- The Americans (S4) – A 1980s drama about undercover Soviet spies in America.
- Tie: Transparent (S3), The Night Of, Atlanta, The People v. O.J. Simpson, Silicon Valley (S3).
- Moonlight – The story of a young man, told in three different chapters of his life, struggling with love and his identity.
- I Am Not Your Negro – A documentary about race in America, using the words of writer and playwright James Baldwin.
- Manchester by the Sea – Casey Affleck stars as a man who returns to his past home after his brother dies to care for his teenage son.
- Toni Erdmann – A German-Austrian comedy/drama about a father's ridiculous ploy to reconnect with his estranged daughter.
- La La Land – That Emma Stone-Ryan Gosling dreamy dance jazz movie.
- Skeleton Tree– Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
- Tie: Lemonade – Beyonce, You Want it Darker – Leonard Cohen
- We Got it From Here – A Tribe Called Quest
- A Seat at the Table – Solange
(Note: DLC packs and chapters of a game aren't in this list.)