Gun-control group's national tour stops in Minneapolis - Bring Me The News

Gun-control group's national tour stops in Minneapolis

Author:
Publish date:

A traveling national gun control rally stopped in downtown Minneapolis Wednesday morning.

The event was part of a 25-city tour organized by Mayors Against Illegal Guns, which says it has the backing of 1,000 mayors and 1.5 million supporters. Among those on the tour are survivors of mass shootings and family members of victims, the Star Tribune reports.

"What Congress should understand is that we are not going away," said Accent Signage victim John Souter, FOX 9 reported.

"Background checks are quick and simple and save lives," said Carlee Soto, who lost her older sister, Sandy Hook teacher Victoria Soto, in the Newtown, Conn. shooting.

The goal of the tour is to prod policy makers to adopt tighter background checks for gun buyers. The 100-day bus tour, called "No More Names: The National Drive to Reduce Gun Violence," started last month in Newtown, Conn., six months after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.

The mayor's group has been critical of the Senate, which in April rejected legislation aimed at more gun control.

Sami Rahamim, 17, whose father Reuven was killed in the Accent workplace shooting on Sept. 27, writes an opinion piece in the Star Tribune Wednesday, arguing that reforming gun laws is still possible and critical.

Critics said that legislation would not have been effective in curbing gun violence or keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. Bipartisan opponents of the legislation said passions had no place in making broad new gun policy, the New York Times noted.

Next Up

Related