Hallowednesday update: Bite-size treats but don't bite these

Author:
Publish date:
Social count:
0

This Halloween, there's a new version of an old candy favorite – and a warning.

The Star Tribune reports St. Paul's Pearson Candy Co. has added a new production line so that it can get into the bite-size bar business. The bite-sizers weigh just 0.5 ounces, while mini or fun-size bars weigh more and tend to be two-biters. The popularity of the bite-size treat reflects the growing concern about sugary snacks.

Pearson is expanding its market share with new distribution deals with a few major retailers, including Target.

Meanwhile, KARE 11 reports that some little ones who wear glow sticks to be safer while trick-or-treating occasionally do something unsafe: take a bite and ingest some of the liquid inside.

The station reports that the Hennepin Regional Poison Center answers some 500 calls a year from panicked parents with children who have swallowed some of the lighted liquid. Turns out the chemical can create a tummy ache, irritate the skin and sting the eyes, but is NOT poisonous.

The Star Tribune reported that the luminous goo inside the products is caused by a chemical reaction that creates dibutyl phthalate. A visit to the ER or a doctor isn’t required unless children have chest pains or difficulty breathing.

The newspaper added that Poison Control officials wish parents would not give the popular products to their little ghosts and goblins.

Related

Next Up