After facing loads of criticism for not being transparent, Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau once again said she could not provide more answers regarding an officer-involved shooting that left 22-year-old Terrance Franklin dead last month.
"Being able to share facts when we get them may not be as fast as people would like them, but the facts don't change," Harteau said. "I would hope to get to a place where people trust in me and trust in this police department to do the right thing and withhold judgment until all the facts are out."
Franklin, a burglary suspect, fled a traffic stop on May 10 and broke into a home near 27th and Bryant. When officers followed him into the home, a struggle ensued.
Franklin was fatally shot during the confrontation after he allegedly reached for an officer’s MP5 machine gun. Two officers were wounded. Many details still remain murky.
Last week, the police department announced it had completed its investigation. The case was forwarded to the Hennepin County Attorney's Office for initial review, which could take months.
A grand jury will either indict the officers involved or determine that there’s not enough probable cause to charge them.
In an exclusive one-on-one interview with KARE 11, Harteau reiterated that she must remain neutral in sharing facts of the case.
"I am willing to and desire to share as much as I can but I want people to understand the times that I can't is only because I can't. It is not because I choose not to," Harteau said.
Six DFL candidates for Minneapolis mayor debated this week how the city should handle allegations of police misconduct.