Hennepin County Medical Center is seeing more patients, making less money and will next year cut staff numbers – but says that won't impact the quality of care.
Minneapolis' main trauma center and public teaching hospital confirmed to GoMN on Thursday that rising costs will force it to lay off some staff next year.
"While we have continued to see an increase in patient volume this year," spokeswoman Christine Hill said, "as we finalize the 2017 financial plan it is clear that the increasing cost of salaries, wages, and benefits and the rising cost of supplies, equipment, and pharmaceuticals, together with public program reimbursements that are less than the cost of providing care, are contributing to the financial challenge."
Where the ax will fall is not yet known, with the hospital saying it expects to have figured out "the scope of the changes" by mid-to-late January, which will then be implemented by the end of March.
Even though it will have to make do with less staff, the hospital is adamant it won't affect its levels of care or make it harder for patients to access its "many critical" medical services.
"We are focused on redesigning the work so that we can continue to deliver the services to patients without compromising access or quality," Hill said.
Hospital workers were told of the impending reorganization on Wednesday.
The Star Tribune reports the last time HCMC made significant layoffs was in 2009, when there were two rounds of staff cuts, the second of which saw 75-100 jobs eliminated.
Around 6,800 people work in the 455-bed hospital in downtown Minneapolis and its clinics and service centers dotted around the metro area, according to its annual report for 2015. Last year, HCMC received more than $25.5 million in government and corporate grants.